Friday January 22, 2021
Latest: Sen. Ted Cruz ’92 denounced by students for actions on Jan. 6
Sen. Ted Cruz ’92 sits for an official portrait.
Courtesy of Ted Cruz Congressional website

Today’s Briefing: 

This week, following the violence at the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6, Sen. Ted Cruz ’92 (R-Texas) continues to face criticism for his role in the objection of electoral votes. 

In its inaugural editorial, The Daily Princetonian Editorial Board calls on
University President Christopher L. Eisgruber ’83 and the University community to condemn Sen. Cruz for his role in spreading claims of voter fraud that undermined multiracial democracy and perpetuated systemic racism. The piece, written and signed by all members of the Board, argues that Cruz’s actions “have perpetuated the systemic racism that for so long has prevented America from becoming the true democracy it purports to be — the same systemic racism President Eisgruber ensured this summer that the University would now fight against.”

Guest contributor Austin Mejia ’21 asserts that Whig-Clio must strip Sen. Cruz of the James Madison Award, which Cruz was granted in 2016, stating that words are not enough in condemning public figures. 

Also in Opinion, Prospect writer Etiosa Omeike
argues that contrary to what critics and public officials may suggest, the attempted insurrection at the U.S Capitol is a direct reflection of America’s standing as a nation committed to white supremacy. Omeike writes, “America flaunts herself under the pretense of values of life, liberty, the pursuit of happiness, and the equality of all, yet has consistently failed to affirm those values since her establishment.” 

Associate News Editor Naomi Hess sat down with Rep. Bonnie Watson Coleman (D-N.J.) to discuss the Congresswoman's experience during the insurrection at the Capitol, as well as the COVID-19 pandemic and former President Donald Trump. 

Meal pickup during Arrival Quarantine
Zachary Shevin / The Daily Princetonian

Arrival Quarantine: 

• For those in Arrival Quarantine, University Health Services has changed the weekend deadline for submitting the Daily Symptoms Check from 10AM to noon. Happy sleeping in!
  • Arrival Quarantine ends on February 1 for all students, both on- and off-campus. 

Campus News

A look at the planned location of the new soccer facilities and garage.
Courtesy of Princeton University Facilities.
  • The Princeton Planning Board approved the construction of two new soccer fields on the University’s new East Campus. The plans include a new Roberts Stadium and a practice soccer field. The stadium construction is expected to be completed by fall of 2022, though the entirety of the East Campus will not be completed until the end of the decade. 
  • In its meeting this week, Undergraduate Student Government (USG) discussed Street Week, which will run from Jan. 24 to Feb. 5. Members also discussed referenda voted on in the fall, future virtual movie showings, and Arrival Quarantine procedures. 
Have questions about New Jersey's COVID-19 vaccination plan? Video Staffer Kareena Bhatka outlines when students living in N.J. may get their vaccinations.

At your leisure

• Winter Recess isn't over yet, despite what your professors might think. Give The Prospect's Self Care Recommendations a read and make sure you're taking care of yourself in this new year!
  • Check out The Daily Princetonian's Cartoon section, starting with "Spectral Spectators" (below) from Co-Head Cartoons Editor Sydney Peng!
Sydney Peng / The Daily Princetonian
Today's newsletter was copy-edited by Catie Parker.
Website

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp