Friday, January 29, 2021

Latest: Prospect Student Ventures receives $110,000 in University funding, 2887 students return to campus

A sign promoting social distancing, like many that greeted students as they returned to campus, in front of Blair Arch.
Mark Dodici / The Daily Princetonian 

Today’s Briefing: 

In a win for student entrepreneurs, Prospect Student Ventures (PSV), a student-run venture capital fund, will receive $110,000 in funds from the University to distribute to students pursuing entrepreneurship. PSV will allow students access to funding with zero equity taken, meaning that PSV will not take any ownership of startups funded. The funding comes from the Office of Dr. Rodney Priestly, the University Vice-Dean for Innovation.

READ THE STORY →

The Daily Princetonian spoke with students arriving on campus, some for the very first time. 2887 students have arrived back on campus, beginning their campus experiences with a seven-day arrival quarantine period. To pass the time, students have been exploring campus during their daily allotted walking time, taking Wintersession classes, and working on academic projects.

READ THE STORY →

Dean of the Faculty Sanjeev Kulkarni will resign from his position at the end of the spring 2021 semester and return to teaching. Kulkarni has served as the Dean of the Faculty since July 2017. Prior to that, Kulkarni served as the Head of Butler College and as Director of the Keller Center. A University search committee has been formed to find his replacement.

READ THE STORY →

In other news

The Princeton Public Library
John Phelan / Wikimedia Commons
  • Princeton Public Library (PPL) has closed temporarily after a staff member tested positive for COVID-19. PPL Executive Director Jennifer Podolsky stated that they “expect to reopen during the week of Feb. 1.” 
  • The College Board has eliminated both the optional essay from the SAT as well as all SAT Subject tests, as a result of accessibility challenges due to the COVID-19 pandemic. However, these changes will have little effect on the application process for prospective Princeton students, as the University removed requirements for the SAT subject tests and the optional essay in 2018.

At your leisure

Trust Exercises 
Sydney Peng / The Daily Princetonian 
• FEATURES: From Features Staff Writer Ben Angarone comes a profile of James Chu ’00, a former Princeton cross country runner who faced many obstacles in his athletic journey, both in college and after. This profile is the latest edition of Once a Tiger, a series profiling former University athletes.

• PLAY: Check out the newest crossword, “Once in Berlin,” created by Puzzles Co-Head Gabriel Robare. And make sure to read the accompanying commentary, written by Puzzles Co-Head Owen Travis. The commentary contains clues for the crossword and the constructor's notes.
Today’s newsletter was copy edited by Isabel Rodrigues. Thank you. 
Website

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp