Monday January 25, 2021

Latest: Princeton historians condemn the 1776 Report, the Prince pays tribute to baseball legend Hank Aaron.

PRO TIP: Take Zoom Classes in an Archway by Hazel Flaherty

Todays Briefing: 

Princeton history professors, including Professor Julian Zelizer, condemned the Trump administrations Advisory 1776 Commission report, calling out its historical inaccuracies and overtly political agenda. According to Zelizer, the Trump administration report is a very political document that isn’t really about understanding founding principles and history. The 1776 report is regarded by many as a response to The New York Times 1619 Project, which focused on reframing American history with a spotlight on the lasting ramifications of slavery for Black Americans. 

In an announcement released Jan. 4, the University named Mitchel Charles 18 as the new Program Coordinator in the Office of the Dean of Undergraduate Students (ODUS), where he will serve as a liaison between student leaders and University offices. The announcement comes after an 11 month vacancy in the position. Regarding the position, Charles said he is very excited about advising students and student groups on how they can get the most out of their Princeton experience. 

In its second piece of the year, The Daily Princetonian Editorial Board urges students to use communication with their peers first when facing non-compliance with COVID-19 related health policies. The piece notes, looking first to interpersonal dialogue is a more effective way for our community to encourage introspection and correct genuine missteps. 

OBIT: Hank Aaron, one of the greatest baseball players of all time and an honorary Princeton alum, died on Jan, 22. He was 86. He is well known for breaking Babe Ruths home run record in 1974 and in his career batted 755 home runs. Former University President Shirley M. Tilghman, who awarded Aaron his honorary doctorate in 2011, stated that Aaron conducted his life both inside and outside baseball with immense integrity, dignity, and grace in the face of rampant racism.  
Hank Aaron 
Chris Evans / Wikimedia Commons
IN OPINION: Guest Opinion Contributor Marc Shorin of the Princeton Anti-Austerity Coalition (PAAC) calls on the University to democratize decision making regarding issues relating to its COVID-19 response and plans for this semester. Along with Unidad Latina en Acción-New Jersey (ULA-NJ), Princeton Mutual Aid (PMA), and Princeton Graduate Students United (PGSU), PAAC introduces demands for how the University can do so.
Today's newsletter was copy-edited by Nathalie Verlinde. 
Website

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp