Over the next week, Princeton undergraduate and graduate students in the United States will receive a copy of The Daily Princetonian’s Sept. special print edition, mailed to their home address. This print issue is unlike anything the ‘Prince’ has released before, apt for a semester unlike any Princeton student has experienced before.

The theme of the issue, “Princeton from afar,” examines the question of what makes college meaningful in the absence of a physical campus. In its pages, you can read about all the ways college life has been upended — from student arts groups that have canceled auditions and suspended shows, to businesses in Princeton that are struggling to make ends meet. College continues, but without the shared experiences, opportunities, and spaces that made it meaningful.

This newsletter features some of the articles included in the special print edition, as well as certain digital exclusives. If you would like to order copies of our fall print editions, you can find our new online order page here.

Thank you for reading the ‘Prince.’

Digital Exclusives

How the Eating Clubs Went
Co-Ed

Thirty years after the last eating clubs went co-ed, The Daily Princetonian recounts the lengthy fight that won women full access to Prospect Avenue.
read more >>

Daybreak

Stay connected by tuning in every weekday to The Daily Princetonian's news podcast to hear about the day's headlines in three minutes. Longer episodes on Sunday wrap up the week's events. 
listen here >>

The Orange Table

Don’t miss The Orange Table, a roundtable talk show that brings students together to candidly discuss race on Princeton’s campus.
watch here >>

NEWS
USG to spend $80K on virtual fall Lawnparties

USG will spend $80,000 — 42 percent of its fall budget — on the virtual concert, which will pay for the artist, their agent, the production company, and various giveaways. “I think Lawnparties is a really good way to kind of simulate the community that we might have had on campus,” said USG Social Chair Sophie Torres ’21.

Amid outrage from Hawaiʻi residents, plans for college ‘bubble’ popped

This summer, two Princeton alumni garnered national attention for plans to create two “bubble” campuses in Hawaiʻi and Arkansas, as many colleges across the country prepared for a virtual semester. After widespread backlash from Hawaiʻi residents, they will not proceed at either property.

OPINION
Who tells your story: Journalists must confront racism in the media industry

Columnist Julia Chaffers ’22 argues that reporters must decry racism and reckon with their own biases, as she calls for news organizations to elevate and empower Black journalists and journalists of color. “The time is now for a new era of journalism,” Chaffers writes.

CARTOON
Visit The Daily Princetonian’s revived cartoon section

Featured both online and in the print edition, check out the work of our newly revived Cartoon section!
Featured Cartoon:
'The Orange Bubble' by
Payton Croskey '24

FEATURES
Princeton businesses received over $200M in PPP loans. Some are still struggling.

In total, businesses in Princeton received between $208.7 million and $440.25 million, from 1,027 loans collectively, according to data released by the Department of Treasury.

SPORTS
Bella Alarie ’20 signs with Under Armour

Bella Alarie ’20 signed a contract with Under Armour as one of “three rookie basketball stars” to join the company’s lineup. She was drafted fifth overall in the 2020 WNBA draft by the Dallas Wings.

PROSPECT
Magazine editor resigns over Dickman's controversial poem, as U. community weighs in

Backlash over creative writing lecturer Michael Dickman’s use of offensive and violent language in a poem published this summer led Don Share, the editor of Poetry magazine, to resign — one of several recent controversies surrounding free speech and accountability that have embroiled the University.

‘Decolonizing your bookshelf’: students, alumni, and local businesses turn to books — and buying practices — to combat racism

As the pandemic keeps many from attending in-person protests against anti-Black violence, many in the University community are incorporating reading into their activism. Black-owned bookstores are simultaneously receiving new attention and facing existential challenges.
view this email in your browser
Thank you.
Today’s newsletter was designed by Anika Maskara ’23 and Juliana Wojtenko ’23.
You are receiving this email because you either subscribed on our old site or have subscribed recently. 

Our mailing address is: 
The Daily Princetonian
48 University Pl
Princeton, NJ  08540
Add us to your address book

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list

This email was sent to <<Email Address>>
why did I get this?    unsubscribe from this list    update subscription preferences
The Daily Princetonian · 48 University Pl · Princeton, NJ 08540 · USA