December 4th, 2020

The arts and entertainment industries have been hit hard by the pandemic. In-person theatre is close to impossible, tv shows have stalled filming schedules, and many films are releasing to streaming services rather than to limited movie theaters. 

And yet, the arts and entertainment media have played a vital role in getting us through this time of isolation. When stuck inside, we’ve turned to books, tv shows, films, and more to fill our time and minds—whether we’re working on decolonizing our bookshelves, discovering a new passion for podcasts, or rewatching a beloved tv series (Avatar: The Last Airbender fans, I’m looking at you).

Even I, an editor of a newspaper section dedicated to arts and culture, have been surprised by how much I’ve been comforted and challenged by creative content. Though I mourn for the ability to experience art together, I’ve found hope in the articles we’ve published recently, which reveal the impact of existing books and movies and, through awards and grants, point toward the future for the arts.

What’s the piece of art or media that’s been getting you through the pandemic? Have you discovered any new favorites? Let us know at prospect@dailyprincetonian.com

Paige Allen ’21
Co-Head Editor of The Prospect
peallen@princeton.edu

What’s the Conversation

• “Tiny, joyous little details.” Opinion columnist Sally Jane Ruybalid encourages us to appreciate what we have and the memories we share during a year of unexpected loss and instability. Read her reflection here.
  • A superhero movie with impact. Senior writer Tiana Ruden praises the "rich character development,” “thought-provoking screenplay,” and “insightful message" of “Black Panther” (2018). Read the review here
  • “There’s still hope.” The Arts Council of Princeton received a $50,000 grant to help aid in COVID-19 relief. Read the article here. 

What to Do... Before Our Next Newsletter

On account of Dean’s Date, finals, and winter break, the next installment of Intersections won’t arrive until later this month. Here are the events to enjoy in the meantime.

• If you didn’t catch it already, check out the Princeton Dance Festival Reimagined. The Program in Dance redesigned their annual festival for the virtual world, creating a series of unique and innovative evenings followed by question and answer sessions with choreographers. The festival, continuing tonight and closing tomorrow, is free and open to the public.

• If you want a great movie, check out Rhada Blank’s “The Forty-Year-Old Version” on Netflix. The New York Times recently shouted out the movie in its reflection on theatre in 2020, calling it a “love letter to theater written in sweat equity, and an unrepentant indictment of a white-run theater that thrives on Black pain.” And you might recognize a familiar face—Lecturer in Theater Peter Kim costars.
  • If you’re feeling future-focused, check out Forward Fest, a monthly online series featuring University alumni and staff exploring a range of forward-thinking topics to spark dialogue among the Princeton community and “other interested thinkers.” The next installment of the series will be held December 17 at 4:00 p.m. EST followed by a performing arts showcase at 8:00 p.m. EST.

Submit a Love Story

Are you a Princeton University student or alum with a story to tell about love? The Prospect wants to hear from you. We define love stories broadly; reflections on your relationship with your parents, the loss of a loved one, a meaningful friendship, or a breakup with a significant other all qualify as love stories! 

There are two options for submission: Heartstrings are up to 1,700 words, and Lil’ Love Stories are 100 - 200 words. You can submit anonymously (but you’re not required to!). Submit your story here by November 23 at 11:59 pm for our first round of submissions or by December 7 at 11:59 pm for our second round. 

Lillian Chen '21 is an Associate Prospect Editor as well as the founder of and curator of the "Heartstrings & Lil' Love” column. If you have any questions, she can be reached at lillianc@princeton.edu.

Today's newsletter was copy edited by Anna McGee '22.
Homepage
You are receiving this email because you either subscribed on our old site or have subscribed recently. 

Our mailing address is: 
The Daily Princetonian
48 University Pl
Princeton, NJ  08540
Add us to your address book

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

This email was sent to <<Email Address>>
why did I get this?    unsubscribe from this list    update subscription preferences
The Daily Princetonian · 48 University Pl · Princeton, NJ 08540-5116 · USA