Women's volleyball defeats Dartmouth, Harvard in straight sets at Dillon

wbv harvard dartmouth.jpg
Jessie Harris, Maggie O'Connell, Devon Peterkin and Natasha Skov during Saturday's celebration for the team's seniors. The quad has won two Ivy League titles together. Photo by Noel Valero / GoPrincetonTigers.com

This past weekend, the Princeton Women’s Volleyball Team (15–6 overall, 11–1 Ivy League) beat Harvard (5–16, 3–9 Ivy) and Dartmouth (7–15, 2–10 Ivy) 3–0 in their second meeting of the year. Like the first matchups, the Tigers shut out the Crimson and Big Green in straight sets, as their win streak climbs to nine in a row. 

On Friday evening, against Dartmouth, Princeton overwhelmed the Big Green out of the gate, winning 25–11 in the first set. The team's total of 16 kills and Dartmouth’s inability to protect their court defensively gave Princeton a convincing start to the match. The following sets were much closer. Dartmouth fell to Princeton 25–20 in the second and 25–23 in the third.

Senior setter Jessie Harris led the Tigers with 40 assists and six kills. Senior outside hitter Devon Peterkin managed 18 kills, two assists, and a block. Senior outside hitter Natasha Skov had 11 kills, followed by junior middle Clare Lenihan with 10 kills.

On Saturday, Princeton faced off against Harvard. Riding on the win against Dartmouth, the Tigers closed the game against the Crimson in three sets. In the first set, Princeton faced an early 14–8 deficit. It wasn’t until a string of kills from Lenihan and Peterkin that the score flipped in favor of the Tigers, as they took nine of the next ten points to grab 19–16 lead. By the end of the set, Princeton prevailed 25–22. In the second set, Harvard never led, and the Tigers won 25–11. Then, 18 kills by the Tigers ended the third set 25–22 and the match 3–0.

Harris led the Tigers with 43 assists. After this weekend, Harris was named Ivy Player of the Week. Also helping Princeton secure the win was Lenihan with 12 kills, senior right-side hitter Maggie O’Connell with 11 kills, and Peterkin with 10 kills.

With the season coming to a close, the Tigers still have two games to go in Ivy play. Princeton will travel to Brown next Friday for a match at 7 p.m., and they’ll make their way to Connecticut for a match against Yale on Saturday at 5 p.m. As of now, the Tigers stand 11–1 in the Ivy League conference. A win against Brown and Yale, two teams they have already beaten this season, would keep Princeton in first place for the Ivy Tournament and give the Tigers a well-earned bid to the NCAAs