USG discusses project for new health center to replace McCosh Health Center

usgnewmccosh.jpg
Photo Credit: Sophie Li / The Daily Princetonian

At its weekly meeting on Sunday, the Undergraduate Student Government (USG) discussed University Health Service’s (UHS) upcoming plans for a new building to replace McCosh Health Center.

John McGill, a Senior Associate and Project Designer at WRNS Studio, was invited to discuss future plans for the University’s new health center, which will be built on Goheen Walk, adjacent to Wilcox Hall. According to Jarett Messina, Project Manager for the University, construction will commence during the summer of 2022 to complement the building of new residential colleges.

McGill shared the results of student questionnaires evaluating the current UHS health center at McCosh.

The study showed that students liked McCosh’s academic, rather than institutional, exterior. However, students generally said that they disliked the “cold, sterile, and institutional” interior, difficult navigation, and the lack of privacy.

In response to this feedback, McGill presented the new building’s design, which he described as encapsulating the theme of “healthy building, healthy people.” The new building, twice the size of McCosh, will incorporate artwork and natural elements, such as wood, to create a feeling of home. The building will be transparent to allow for natural light. 

The project also follows a “South Porch scheme,” which will introduce a new public space on Goheen. One of the three entrances will be accessible.

USG also discussed other topics, including a Housing Committee report detailing steps that are being made to improve room draw, following several students’ discovery that draw times were not randomized between 2018 and 2019.

CBORD, the external vendor that provides the platform for room draw, has since fixed the bug in its software, effectively fixing the randomization error.

According to the report, however, “the new update does not address the error in larger groups having an advantage over smaller room draw groups.”

The report also states, “the randomization of draw groups will be done in-house by USIT, before being sent to CBORD.”

To increase transparency regarding room draw, the University launched an Instagram account (@princeton_studenthousing), a new email (askhousing@princeton.edu), and a ServiceNow@Princeton (SN@P) portal to facilitate communication.

Additionally, Jess Ma ’21, representing the USG Movies Committee, announced new initiatives, such as using a more data-driven approach to improve movie selections, increasing collaboration with on and off-campus organizations, and providing group ticketing for RCAs so that they may organize study breaks with first-years.

Moreover, the Senate approved Lehman Montgomery ’22 as Chief Elections Manager. The body also unanimously approved five new clubs, including Minecraft Club, J-Asians, Princeton Baking Company, E-Club Subgroups, and Princeton Guitar Club.

The Senate meeting was open to the public and held in Lewis Library 138 at 8 p.m.