Seniors pull through as Princeton defeats Cornell 2-0

wsoc jack.png
Olivia Kane '21 and Princeton beat Cornell on Saturday. Photo by Jack Graham / Daily Princetonian

Princeton’s Senior Day saw women’s soccer (7–6–3, 2–3–1 Ivy League) emerge victorious in their tussle against Cornell (4–9–1, 0–6–0 Ivy) 2–0, securing their second Ivy League win of the season.

Senior forward Courtney O’Brien spared absolutely no time in ensuring her last game at Princeton would be a victorious one. At less than a minute into the game, she converted a throw-in from freshman defender Madison Curry into a rocket that she fired into the net from 25 yards away, scoring the first goal of the game and her fifth of the season. Less than 20 minutes later, senior forward Abby Givens headed a corner kick from senior midfielder Sophia Gulati into the net, pushing the Tigers ahead 2–0.

Both teams amped up the aggression in the second half: Cornell’s goalie Chrissy Mayor saved three separate shots from freshman forward Grace Sherman, junior defender Eve Hewins and sophomore forward Amy Paternoster in under four minutes. Cornell attempted 11 shots in the second half, but thanks to a combined shutout from senior goalkeepers Kelli Calhoun and Natalie Grossi, and the rest of the Tiger defense, none materialized into a goal.

All in all, the Tigers outshot the Big Red 26–15. Both sides fouled nine times, and one yellow card was awarded to Cornell. The victory continues Princeton’s winning streak against Cornell to a 24th game since the latter’s last win in 1995 and leaves the Tigers 5th from the top on the Ivy League standings.

Head coach Sean Driscoll recognized the senior contribution, commenting that “the most important thing about the day was to give the senior class, who have been so instrumental in our success in the past four years, a really good sendoff. It was a great way to end their season at home and a truly positive way to celebrate their careers.”

The team will face off against Penn this Saturday in their last Ivy League match of the season.