In support of Dreamers, on campus and beyond

Panorama_of_United_States_Supreme_Court_Building_at_Dusk.jpg
“Panorama of United States Supreme Court Building at Dusk” by Joe Ravi / CC BY-SA 3.0

On Tuesday, the Supreme Court heard oral arguments for and against the Trump administration’s attempted rescission of Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA). The program, enacted by President Barack Obama in 2012, forestalls deportation for more than 600,000 Dreamers — undocumented immigrants brought to the United States as children.

On behalf of plaintiff Maria De La Cruz Perales Sanchez ’18, the University and Microsoft jointly filed one of the suits presented before the court. We commend Nassau Hall for taking action against the White House’s nativist cruelty.

As hundreds of organizations, including the University, have noted, our community benefits from the presence of Americans who are Dreamers. Contrary to President Trump’s racist haranguing, students such as Perales Sanchez contribute invaluably to our university and our country.

DACA allows hundreds of thousands of Americans to remain in the United States. In the face of bigotry and bias, affirming that Dreamers belong is a moral choice. We concur with Associate Justice Sonia Sotomayor ’76, who challenged her colleagues on the bench to consider the moral ramifications of repealing DACA.

“This is not [just] about the law,” she said. “This is about our choice to destroy lives.”

Though Princeton may seem a world away from the uncertainty and terror that Dreamers endure every day, we must not forget that we have peers who are living through this hell. We stand with them as friends, students, and Americans.

Board Chairs

Chris Murphy ’20

Cy Watsky ’21

Board Members

Samuel Aftel ’20

Arman Badrei ’22

Ariel Chen ’20

Rachel Kennedy ’21

Ethan Li ’22

Madeleine Marr ’21

Jonathan Ort ’21