Director of the Women*s Center resigns

Women*s Center.png
Photo Courtesy of the Gender and Sexuality Resource Center website

In early October, Amada Sandoval, the former director of the Women*s Center, resigned from her position, having worked at the University for 19 years. Her departure leaves the director positions of both the Women*s Center and LGBT Center vacant, as former LGBT Center Director Judy Jarvis has become Director of Wintersession and Campus Engagement.

Administrators are not looking to immediately fill these roles.

“We have decided to use this as an opportunity to explore processes that envision the future of this work and how we engage and support students of multiple and intersecting identities,” said LaTanya Buck, the Dean for Diversity and Inclusion in the Office of the Vice President for Campus Life.

The Women*s Center was founded in 1971 by students with the goal of “reckon[ing with] and redress[ing] historic and persistent gender inequality at Princeton and beyond,” according to its website. The Center seeks to provide a space where students may discuss gender issues and their own experiences, as well as learn about the history of women’s and other movements for social equality.

The Center aims to help students recognize current systems that perpetuate inequality and create a more equitable future. 

The asterisk in the name of the Center indicates that it is not only for, or about, women.

“Instead, the Center welcomes and engages persons of all genders, including genderqueer, nonconforming, transgender folks, and cisgender men,” the Women*s Center website reads. 

Sandoval did not respond to a request for comment by the time of publication.