Weekend Review: October 6, 2019

Men’s soccer @ Dartmouth: L 1–0

Despite outshooting Dartmouth 11–7, men’s soccer (5–3, 0–1 Ivy) was unable to land a single goal against the Big Green, and a 72nd minute goal from Dartmouth’s Eric Sachleben was all it took for Princeton to lose. Saturday’s game against Dartmouth was the Tigers’ first Ivy League match of the season and their defeat could mean an early potential end to their championship hopes. Last year, however, the team had one loss and one tie and was still crowned the Ivy League champion. Needless to say, next Saturday’s game against Brown will be critical for postseason hopes. Before that, however, the team will take on the University of Delaware on Tuesday at home.

Women’s soccer @ Dartmouth: W 1–0

Women’s soccer (4–4–2, 1–1–0) kept its playoff hopes alive on Saturday with a much needed win over Dartmouth in Hanover, N.H. An intense first and second half saw no goals for either team despite Princeton outshooting the Big Green 19–10. Junior midfielder Olivia Kane scored four minutes into overtime with a header, and the team held out until the final whistle blew. Saturday’s clean sheet against Dartmouth was senior goalie Natalie Grossi’s 30th of her career, officially breaking the Ivy League record for the most career shutouts in both men’s and women’s soccer. The team take on Brown in Providence, R.I. on Saturday for their third Ivy League game of the season.

Field hockey vs. Yale, @ No. 2 Duke: W 4–3 (OT), W 5–4 (OT)

No. 12 Princeton field hockey (7–4, 2–0) had a thrilling weekend, with a Friday overtime win over Ivy rival Yale followed by a road overtime upset over No. 2 Duke. Against Yale, Princeton overturned a two-goal Yale lead to pull ahead 3–2 after three quarters. Yale managed to tie the game with just over six minutes remaining, but sophomore striker Ali McCarthy hit the game-winner in overtime on a nifty pass from junior midfielder Julianna Tornetta. The win over Duke on Sunday was even more dramatic. Princeton fell behind 4–1 but notched three straight goals to tie the game, with junior striker Clara Roth’s game-tying goal coming with less than a minute left in regulation. Sophomore midfielder Hannah Davey scored the game-winner 5:56 into overtime, giving the Tigers a 2–0 weekend.

Women’s volleyball vs. Columbia, Cornell: W 3–1, L 3–1

Women’s volleyball (6–6, 2–1) split their weekend 1–1, giving them a 2–1 record in Ivy League conference play. The Tigers beat Columbia 3–1 on Friday night but took a tough 3–1 loss to Cornell on Saturday. Columbia pushed ahead in the first set until the Tigers tied the score at 18-all and then took the lead, finishing the set 25–19. The second set was not much different with the score being tied at 16-all, except this time the Lions took the lead and eventually won the set. Set three was also closely scored until kills from senior right side hitter Maggie O’Connell and junior middle blocker Clare Lenihan gave the Tigers an 18–16 advantage. The Tigers fought after a 24-all score to take the victory 26–24. Going into the fourth set, the Tigers outworked the Lions, rolling off eight straight points to secure the match victory. The Cornell Big Red made the Tigers work the entire match. Princeton kept them at bay during the first set until Cornell came back to tie the set 23-all before they won the set. Coming off of a set-two advantage, the Tigers were able to secure the victory. Set three was tight with no team leading by more than two points. The set was tied at 25-all and 26-all before Cornell took the set. The Big Red took a quick lead in the fourth, eventually extending their lead to 19–15. The Tigers got within three points but couldn’t rally the match victory. The Tigers are now 6–6 overall and 2–1 in the Ivy League.

Men’s water polo vs. No. 12 Harvard, Brown, MIT: L 12–9, W 12–9, W 9–8

Men’s water polo (8–9 overall, 2–1 Northeast Water Polo Conference) opened conference play this weekend with a loss, a win, and an overtime nail-biter. The No. 18 Tigers faced off first against No. 12 Harvard (12–0, 3–0). The two squads traded leads for the first half, but the Crimson walked away in the second. The final score was 12–9 Harvard, extending the team’s undefeated season. A Sunday morning match against unranked Brown (9–7, 1–2) offered Princeton a chance to redeem itself. It did exactly that. The Tigers netted four of the game’s first five goals, finished the first half with a 9–7 lead, and earned a 12–9 final decision. Princeton’s squad found itself back in the pool mere hours later, this time to face the MIT Engineers (6–3, 1–2). The strain of a three-game weekend took its toll; it took a three-goal fourth quarter and an overtime period for the Tigers to pull off their 9–8 win.

Players of the Week

Natalie Grossi (2020), women’s soccer

Grossi broke the Ivy League record for career clean sheets this Saturday at women’s soccer’s game against Dartmouth. The Tigers’ 1–0 victory earned Grossi her 30th career shutout, passing Dartmouth alumna Kristin Luckenbill’s previous record of 29. Grossi has the most ever career shutouts in Ivy League history in both men’s and women’s soccer.

Jeremiah Tyler ’21, football

Tyler had 10 tackles, three tackles for a loss, and one sack against Columbia, helping hold the Lions to ten points in a 21–10 Princeton win.