USG discusses new voting platform for upcoming election

USGOct13.jpg
Imaan Khasru / The Daily Princetonian

The Undergraduate Student Government (USG) discussed voting procedures concerning the upcoming election for first-year representatives during its weekly meeting on Sunday, Oct. 13. 

According to USG President Zarnab Virk ’20, the current voting platform used by USG — known as Helios —  is outdated. She therefore called for a switch to a platform more up-to-date with today’s technological advancements. The new platform used will be Election Runner.

This upcoming election for Freshman Class Council will utilize the “Approval Voting” system, wherein voters indicate approval of any number of candidates by selecting a checkbox next to the candidates’ names. The five candidates with the most approvals will be elected. 

The voting process is set to begin on Monday, Oct. 14. 

Another topic covered during the meeting was the funding request for the University’s first Soccer Conference. The two-day conference will feature 43 speakers and guests including industry professionals, academics, journalists, and current and retired players. 

“It will provide a platform for the future of the sport and the soccer industry to be discussed by those at its forefront,” explained core organizer Jonny Hopcroft ’20. A request for $1,200 to fund the conference was approved unanimously by the Senate.

The conference is set to take place on Saturday, Dec. 7, and Sunday, Dec. 8.

Additionally, the Senate moved to recognize five new clubs on campus, and announced an initiative to increase USG’s transparency and accessibility to all undergraduate students on campus. This initiative includes the implementation of “Coffee Club Hours,” where any student can meet USG representatives at the campus’ Coffee Club to discuss concerns or ask questions regarding University issues. 

The Senate also discussed projects to increase interconnectedness between University students and alumni. Potential plans include University-sponsored trips to the Princeton Club in New York, and on-campus Alumni Resource Fairs. 

The Senate meeting was held in Lewis Library 120 at 8 p.m.