U. announces replacement for Blackboard

Nassau Hall

The University is set to introduce Canvas, a learning management system that will gradually replace Blackboard, according to a press release from the Office of Communications.

The Office of Communications described Canvas as “a flexible and interactive web platform where faculty can post the syllabus, announcements, course [activities] and assignments.”

In addition, students will be able to use the platform to “collaborate, submit work, check grades, schedule meetings with instructors and more.”

The process of replacement will begin in spring of 2020 with a “small group of pilot faculty.” Then, through the spring of 2022, around 300 faculty will move from Blackboard to Canvas each semester.

A schedule for when particular departments will move to Canvas will be released in the coming spring semester.

Canvas will feature a mobile app and other tools to facilitate conversations between faculty and students, a scheduler tool to set appointments with faculty, a calendar tool that highlights deadlines for students, and a “grade center” where students can see their grades and feedback from professors.

The transition to Canvas will be overseen by The McGraw Center for Teaching and Learning. The Canvas Implementation Team, led by the McGraw center with technical and administrative support from the Office of Information Technology, will help faculty transfer their content from Blackboard to Canvas. The University will also archive Blackboard courses to ensure that no content is lost.