Weekend Review: September 15

RothPhoto.jpg

Junior Clara Roth registered both goals in the Tigers’ win over Penn State.

Photo Credit: Beverly Schaefer, GoPrincetonTigers

Women’s Volleyball vs. George Mason, Arkansas, Maryland: W 3–0, W 3–0, L 3–2

Princeton women’s volleyball traveled to College Park, Maryland this weekend for its second non-conference tournament of the season. Unlike the tournament at Rutgers to open the season, in which Princeton dropped all three games, the Tigers started the Maryland Invitational off with back-to-back straight set wins over George Mason and Arkansas. On the first day of the tournament, sophomore outside hitter Elena Montgomery and senior outside hitter Devon Peterkin had 11 and 10 kills, respectively, to lead Princeton in straight sets to its first win of the season over George Mason. On day two, Princeton earned another 3–0 win over Arkansas before falling in five sets to host Maryland. The team will be back in action at Dillon Gym Wednesday night for its home opener against No. 10 Oregon. 

Men’s Soccer @ Loyola: L 2–0

Princeton men’s soccer fell to 1–2 on the season after losing 2–0 against Patriot League foe Loyola. The game remained scoreless for the first 62 minutes, until a Princeton defensive lapse allowed Loyola’s Barry Sharifi to find the back of the net. Loyola followed that up with another goal in the 77th minute as Nico Brown scored following a free kick. Princeton generated a handful of offensive opportunities with 11 shots and four shots on goal but were unable to get on the board against Loyola’s goalkeeper. Despite allowing two goals, senior goalkeeper Jacob Schachner made a series of impressive saves in the second half, including two within seconds of each other. Princeton will stay on the road this week against Monmouth on Wednesday and Fairleigh Dickinson on Saturday.

Women’s Soccer @ Maryland: L 3–0

Princeton women’s soccer continued its non-conference schedule this weekend with a match at Maryland. The Terrapins took control of the game early with goals in the fifth minute and 17th minute, both scored by Alyssa Poarch. Princeton was unable to climb back from the early deficit, and Maryland added an insurance goal in the 81st minute to secure a 3–0 win. The Tigers struggled to generate offense, putting just one shot on net throughout the game. Princeton will have a chance to bounce back this Thursday with Villanova coming to visit Roberts Stadium.

Field Hockey vs. No. 20 Albany, No. 17 Penn State: W 4–3, W 2–1

No. 5 Princeton field hockey extended its winning streak to three this weekend with home wins over ranked opponents Albany and Penn State. Against Albany on Friday sophomore midfielder Hannah Davey recorded a hat trick, and Princeton held off a late rally to secure a one-goal win. The team returned to action Sunday at noon against Penn State. The Nittany Lions opened the scoring in the second quarter, and took a 1–0 lead into the half. In the second half, Princeton’s defense remained firm while junior striker Clara Roth scored two goals, with the go-ahead goal coming on a putback with just 3:23 left in the game. Princeton will face another pair of ranked opponents next weekend as No. 21 Rutgers visits Friday before a much-anticipated face-off against No. 3 Connecticut next Sunday. 

Men’s Water Polo @ Princeton Invitational: L 11–10, W 16–8, L 11–8, L 13–12

No. 12 Princeton men’s water polo kept busy this weekend, hosting a tournament at DeNunzio Pool and playing four games of its own. The team’s most thrilling game was its tournament opener on Friday, although it ultimately fell 11–10 in overtime to No. 9 UC San Diego. Sophomore attack Keller Maloney scored on a penalty shot with one second remaining in regulation to tie the game, and Princeton’s would-be game-tying shot with seconds left in overtime missed by inches. The Tigers proceeded to beat Johns Hopkins 16–8 on Saturday before dropping its final two games to No. 14 Bucknell and No. 15 George Washington.

Players of the Weekend

Hannah Davey, Field Hockey (2022): Davey powered Princeton past No. 20 Albany on Friday with a hat trick, scoring three of Princeton’s four goals.

Elena Montgomery, Women’s Volleyball (2022): Montgomery led Princeton in kills over the weekend, recording 47 kills to lead her team to two wins in three games.