This fall, go beyond the 'Bubble'

Five day trips outside Princeton

Lambertville canal

The historic canal in Lambertville, N.J.

Photo Courtesy of Jared Kofsky / Wikimedia Commons

Even though classes are picking up, weekends are the perfect time for students to escape the Orange Bubble. While going out to eat on Nassau Street is enjoyable, there is so much to see beyond Princeton. For those looking for a day trip or a chance to explore the area outside of Princeton, here is a list of ideas to do this fall: 

1. Apple-picking at Terhune Orchards

Nothing quite says fall like an afternoon spent picking apples. Luckily for Princeton students, we don’t have to venture that far from Nassau Hall. Terhune’s Orchard is only a 10-minute drive from campus and has a popular pick-your-own program, with many apples already in season. If you want to go on a Saturday, Terhune’s offers  an Apple Days Harvest Festival, replete with live music and activities, now through the end of October for $10. 

2. Visit Grounds for Sculpture

This 42-acre sculpture garden, located in Hamilton, N.J., is home to many larger-than-life pieces of art, which provide ample photo opportunities and fun adventures for those looking to take a day off campus. Some of the sculptures include an enormous rendering of the couple from “American Gothic,” scenery inspired by Renoir’s “The Luncheon of the Boating Party,” and other temporary exhibitions. In addition to the sculptures, visitors can  dine at Rat’s Restaurant which was modeled after Monet’s famous garden in Giverny, France.

3. Take a day trip to New Hope 

Located around half an hour by car from campus, New Hope, Pa. is a charming town that Princeton students can explore with their friends on a fun day trip. New Hope offers a vintage train ride, ghost tours, and a vibrant culinary scene. Students can also catch a play at the Bucks County Playhouse, which is situated on the Delaware River waterfront. If they are feeling particularly eneregized, visitors can brave the bridge that spans the Pennsylvania-New Jersey border, stretching more than a thousand feet to the neighboring town of Lambertville, N.J. 

4. Go hiking at the Delaware Water Gap

While there are many beautiful hiking trails near campus, the more adventurous can explore the Delaware Water Gap. There are many trails around the park, most of which are still open for the fall. Even though the exercise can be strenuous, it is certainly worth the breathtaking views of the Delaware River below. For those who want to relive their OA days, visitors can stay the night at one of the campgrounds in the park. 

5. Fright Fest at Six Flags

For thrill lovers, Six Flags Great Adventure is located close by, in Jackson, N.J., and is home to the tallest roller coaster in the world, Kingda Ka. Besides the rides and games that are typically at the park, Six Flags Great Adventure is also hosting its annual Fright Fest in honor of Halloween on weekends from now until Nov. 3. The event includes haunted attractions and spooky scenery throughout the park.