Grossi ties Ivy League record for shutouts with 29 as women’s soccer defeats William and Mary

grossi1.jpg
Natalie Grossi, pictured above, tied the Ivy League record for career shutouts. Photo by Beverly Schaefer / GoPrincetonTigers

Women’s soccer (3—3—2 overall, 0—0 Ivy League) closed out their non-conference play on a high note, defeating the William and Mary Tribe (2—6—1) 1—0 on Sunday at home. The clean sweep by the Tigers earned senior goalkeeper Natalie Grossi her 29th career shutout, tying the all-time Ivy League record with former Dartmouth star Kristin Luckenbill. The team’s preseason record finished at 3—3—2 with losses to ranked opponents Georgetown (6—2—1), Boston College (7—1—1), and Maryland (5—3—2).

William and Mary started the action in the first half with a shot on Princeton from Erin Dailey in the eighth minute. After Princeton failed to convert on a corner kick in the 16th minute, Grossi had her first save of the game on a shot by W&M’s Courtney Miles. Three minutes later, the Tigers’ first real shot came from senior Tomi Kennedy only to be blocked before reaching goal.

After a shot from sophomore Gabi Juarez was blocked and header shots from sophomore Aza Keohan and freshman Kamryn Loustau both went high, Princeton finally got its break in the 43rd minute. Junior Olivia Kane hit the ball up the left side of the field into W&M’s goal box where it was intercepted by junior Tatum Gee, who knocked it past the goalie into the bottom right corner. The goal was Gee’s first of her career at Princeton.

The second half started with eight shots from the Tigers in the first ten minutes, putting William and Mary on the defensive right away. The teams traded attacks and counter attacks until the whistle blew at the 90 minute mark.

In the second half Princeton outshot W&M 17—7, forcing the Tribe’s keeper to make 11 saves compared to Grossi’s two. The Tigers also had five corner kicks to William and Mary’s one.

Sunday’s game saw the return of Julie Shackford to Princeton. Shackford, who coached the women’s soccer team here for 20 years and is the most successful coach in not just program history but across all sports at Princeton, men’s and women’s, left In 2014 and is now coaching her alma mater — William and Mary.

Despite the win on Sunday, Princeton is still behind in the two teams’ all-time series, which W&M leads 6—3—1.

The Tigers will host Yale (6—2 overall, 0—0 Ivy League) on Saturday at Roberts Stadium to begin Ivy League play. Princeton has two consecutive Ivy League championships and if they win the conference again this year, it will be their 11th overall and fourth championship in five seasons.