Weekend review: May 5

Women's tennis, April 2019

Women’s tennis, pictured in April 2019, claimed its fifth Ivy League title in six years with victories over Brown and Yale last month.

Photo Credit: GoPrincetonTigers

Women’s Lacrosse vs. Cornell, Penn @ Ivy League Tournament: W 11–6, W 13–9

For the second consecutive year, Princeton’s women’s lacrosse is the Ivy League tournament champion. The Tigers rolled by Cornell and Penn in the semifinals and finals, respectively, to earn the title, as well as the Ivy League’s automatic NCAA tournament bid. Against Cornell, Princeton dominated from the start, scoring the game’s first six goals. Cornell narrowed the margin to 9–6 in the second half, but Princeton put the game away with two more goals of their own. Princeton and Penn were tied after one half in the final, but Princeton outscored the Quakers by four in the second to secure the 13–9 win. Senior Elizabeth George led the way against Penn, notching five goals and an assist. Princeton earned the No. 7 overall seed in the NCAA tournament and will face either Fairfield or Wagner at home on Friday. 

Baseball @ St. John’s: W 3–1, L 4–2

Princeton baseball took a break from Ivy play this weekend with a Saturday doubleheader against St. John’s in New York City. The teams split the games, with Princeton winning the opener 3–1 and St. John’s taking the second leg 4–2. Senior Ryan Smith started the first game, allowing just one run in 8.1 innings. Junior Conor Nolan got the final two outs for his fifth save of the season. Junior Chris Davis singled in a run in the seventh to give Princeton a 1–0 lead, and the Tigers added two more insurance runs in the eighth. In the second game, St. John’s took a 4–0 lead in the fourth inning, and Princeton couldn’t recover. Junior Andrew Gnazzo held St. John’s scoreless in the last four innings, but Princeton fell 4–2. 

Softball @ Dartmouth: L 8–6, L 12–4, L 1–0

Softball traveled to Hanover, N.H., this weekend for its last series of the year and a final, admittedly long shot at an Ivy League title. If the Tigers won each of their three games and Harvard and Columbia both lost theirs, the regular season would end in a four-way tie for first place. It was not to be. Princeton led Dartmouth for the first six and a half innings of the first game; hits from sophomore Mackenzie Meyer, junior Megan Donahey, junior Allison Harvey, and senior Keeley Walsh gave the team a 4–1 lead. But seven runs from the Big Green at the bottom of the sixth whittled the Tigers’ advantage down to an 8–4 deficit. Dartmouth went on to earn two more victories, 12–4 victory and 1–0.  

Women’s Tennis vs. Northwestern, Washington @ NCAA Regionals: W 4–1, L 0–4

Women’s tennis earned their second-ever NCAA tournament win on Saturday, defeating Northwestern University 4–1. The doubles point was captured by wins from first-year Brianna Shvets, sophomores Stephanie Schrage and Nathalie Rodilosso, and senior captain Nicole Kalhorn. First-year Grace Joyce, junior Clare McKee, and Kalhorn won singles matches to advance the Tigers to the next round in the tournament. The next day, though, the University of Washington ended the Tigers’ 10-game win streak. The Huskies took the doubles point and beat every single Princeton player in singles, winning the match 4–0. The Tigers had an impressive season: Ivy League champions with a repeat 7–0 conference record, their fifth NCAA appearance in six years, and the second most wins in program history. 

Players of the Week

Elizabeth George, Women’s lacrosse: George had seven goals in Princeton’s Ivy League tournament win this weekend, including five in the championship victory against Penn. The senior leads the team in goal this season at 54. 

Nicole Kalhorn, Women’s tennis: Kalhorn played her final sets for Princeton this weekend at the NCAA tournament. The senior captain won her doubles match and singles match against Northwestern on Saturday. She helped lead the team to a repeat 7–0 Ivy League victory and fifth NCAA appearance in six years.