Men’s and women’s golf compete in last tournaments before Ivy League championships

mayerGolfGPT.jpg
Sophomore Jake Mayer shot 8 under par to finish tied for third at the Princeton Invitational. Photo Credit: GoPrincetonTigers.com

This past weekend, both the men’s and women’s golf teams hosted events in New Jersey. The men’s team hosted several teams in its annual Princeton Invitational at Springdale Golf Club. While not winning the team or individual titles, Princeton still performed well, including a third-place finish by sophomore Jake Mayer at -8. Along with Columbia, the women’s team co-hosted a new tournament, called Match Madness, at Fox Hollow in Branchburg, N.J. The women’s team was narrowly defeated in the final round by the University of Delaware in a contest where four of the individual matches came down to the final hole. 

In the men’s tournament, Yale walked away with the individual and team titles. The top two golfers for the Bulldogs were also the top two overall finishers. Mayer, Princeton’s top scorer, was on pace with the leaders heading in to the final round and finished just three shots back of first place. Mayer finished tied with players from Loyola University Maryland and Penn for third.  

The rest of the team had less success, as Mayer was the only Princeton golfer to finish the tournament under par. Princeton shot +11 as a team to finish eighth out of 13 schools. 

In the women’s tournament, Princeton again dominated its Ivy League competition as it had in Florida, beating Dartmouth and Harvard on the way to the championship match by a score of 3.5–2.5 in both matches. The Tigers also finished ahead of Brown, Columbia, and Penn. The only Ivy League team not competing in last weekend’s tournament was Yale. Princeton’s leading scorers were first-year Emma Zhao and junior Alison Chang, who each picked up 2.5 points for Princeton, scoring in every match. 

On Sunday, Princeton women’s golf fell by a score of 4.5–1.5 in the final against Delaware. Princeton lost three of its matches in the final and halved the other three to finish second out of eight teams in the tournament. 

Both teams have next weekend off as they rest up and get ready for the Ivy League Championships starting on April 19. The men will travel to Hidden Creek Golf Club in Egg Harbor, N.J. The women will be at The Ridge at Back Brook in Ringoes, N.J. Women’s tennis will be looking for its three-peat in the Ivy League to continue the juniors’ unbeaten streak in the Ivy League championship. Men’s golf will be looking to improve on last year’s performance where it finished seventh as a team just ahead of Columbia. Yale ran away with last year’s title, winning by 22 strokes over Dartmouth. The Tigers were led by now-junior Evan Quinn, who finished +17 tied for 15th-place and only eight shots off the lead.