Man with knife arrested during Easter Service at University Chapel

Chapel

Around 9 p.m. on the evening of Saturday, April 20 during a Catholic Easter service, a man was arrested at the University Chapel after entering the building holding a 4-inch knife. The man was considered non-threatening, and he was charged with disorderly conduct and released on Sunday.

“No one was threatened or injured, though others at the Chapel were concerned,” said Deputy University Spokesperson Michael Hotchkiss.

The 20-year-old man is not a University student, and his identity is not being disclosed at this time.

According to Sergeant Frederick Williams, the Princeton Police Department responded to the incident out of an “abundance of caution.” 

Maya Mishra ’22 was passing the Chapel, where she saw patrons outside singing for the service, at the time of the arrest.

“I just looked over and this guy was being escorted out of the chapel in handcuffs by two policemen,” Mishra said. “There were cop cars everywhere.”

Mishra said that the scene was calm and that the man did not appear to be resisting police.

Although the incident happened on campus, no TigerAlert was issued. According to Hotchkiss, the Department of Public Safety issues timely warnings when there is a “continuing threat to members of the University community.”

“In this situation, the suspect was apprehended, and there was no continuing threat,” Hotchkiss said.

This story has been corrected to reflect that the incident occurred on Saturday, April 20, not Sunday, April 21. The ‘Prince’ regrets the error.