Fire extinguished at Fine Hall

Fire in Fine

Classes in Fine Hall will not be held on April 8-9 after a fire around midnight on Sunday, April 7 broke out. 

Source: Isabel Hsu / The Daily Princetonian

A fire broke out in Fine Hall around midnight Saturday. According to a campus alert by the Office of Communications, the fire was contained to one classroom on the 12th floor and was quickly extinguished by the sprinkler system.

Classes will not be held in the building Monday and Tuesday, according the Office of Communications. Affected students and faculty members will be further notified by email. 

A section of Washington Road was closed early Sunday morning. Fine Hall was also closed for workers to clean up the water damage.

The Office of Communications reported that the fire department and University officials are “investigating the cause of the fire and assessing damage.”

A firefighter from the Princeton Fire Department was taken to the hospital and later released. No one else was hurt, according to the Office of Communications.

Other agencies responding to the fire included Kingston Fire Company, Lawrence Road Fire Department, Mercer County Prosecutor’s Office, Plainsboro Fire Company, Princeton Fire Marshal, Princeton First Aid and Rescue Squad, and West Windsor Emergency Services. From the University, responders included the Department of Public Safety, the Facilities organization, Site Protection, and the Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory Emergency Services.

This story is breaking and will be updated with additional information as it becomes available.