Princeton Town Council reaches settlement in lawsuit against Princeton Borough Police Department

Palmer Square

The Princeton Town Council approved a settlement arrangement of $3.925 million on Monday, Feb. 11 in a lawsuit with seven members of the Princeton Borough Police Department with accusations of harassment and discrimination.

Settlements will be awarded to seven officers, with $1.3 million to former officer Sharon Papp, $1.15 million to current officer Dan Chitren, and $600,000 to former officer Carol Raymond. 

In the agreement, the town did not admit any liability, and the plaintiffs must agree to not file another lawsuit. 

The lawsuit, filed in 2013, alleges continued harassment and discrimination on the basis of gender, disability, and sexual orientation by former chief David Dudeck. The officers described instances in which he referred to women as “dykes” and used other derogatory terms. 

Dudeck retired in 2013 after reaching a separation agreement with the Town Council in which he and the town were not allowed to enter into future litigation regarding his employment and he was forbidden to discuss the agreement. 

As part of the 2013 agreement, the police department also withdrew member allegations against Dudeck, and the Mercer County Prosecutor agreed not to investigate previous charges by the union. 

However, agreements were not reached with the individual officers. 

The Princeton Town Council said that they are unable to comment until after the settlement is finalized.

The Princeton Police Department has not responded to request for comment.