EHS associate director arrested for child pornography, placed on administrative leave

Gregory Cantrell, the University’s associate director for workplace safety in the Office of Environmental Health and Safety (EHS), was charged with possession of child pornography, the Monmouth County Prosecutor’s Office announced early in the morning on Wednesday, Nov. 28. He has been placed on administrative leave, according to University Spokesperson and Director of Media Relations Ben Chang.

The Monmouth County Prosecutor’s Office arrested him and fourteen others during “Operation Trading Post,” a five-month operation that “caught individuals who shamelessly viewed and shared depraved images of children being sexually abused.”

“We are aware of the charge and are cooperating with authorities,” Chang wrote in an email to The Daily Princetonian. “We have revoked the employee’s access to campus and to the campus network.”

Cantrell could not be reached for comment by the time of publication.

Cantrell has worked for the University for the past 28 years, according to his LinkedIn account. His responsibilities for his most recent position included “management of several Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) required safety programs,” and “providing safety services for [the] campus.”

Prior to this position, which he began in 2013, he served as a University assistant safety engineer from 1990 to 2000, and a University safety engineer from 2000 to 2013. 

Cantrell graduated from Thomas Edison State College in 1990 with a degree in applied science and technology. In 2017, he received a master’s degree with honors from the American Public University System in environmental policy and management. 

The Office of Environmental Health and Safety deferred comment to the Office of Communications. The Monmouth County Police Department and the Monmouth County Prosecutor’s Office could not be reached at the time of publication. 

Cantrell and the other defendants were released under the conditions that they do not use the internet and have no unsupervised contact with minors. 

This is a breaking story and will be updated as more information becomes available.