Women’s volleyball beats Penn, faces Yale for top spot in the Ivy League

VballPenn2.jpg
Alexa Underwood and Caroline Sklaver defend the net against Penn

This past weekend, the women’s volleyball team (14–5, 7–1) remained undefeated at home. The Tigers faced Penn (5–14, 2–6) for the second time this season in a 3–0 (25–16, 25–16, 26–19) win. During this match, the Tigers had three players reach double-digit kills. Juniors Devon Peterkin and Maggie O’Connell each had 11 kills while sophomore Alexa Underwood also played a strong role for the offense with 10 kills. Defensively, the Tigers didn’t give in to the Quakers, with Peterkin leading the way with nine digs, while freshman Cameron Dames added eight. Junior Jessie Harris continued to set up the offense with 40 assists in this match, keeping her spot as the Ivy League leader in assists.

Peterkin not only led her team this past weekend; she’s also leading the Ivy League, having been named Ivy League Player of the Week three times this season. She currently sits in the top 10 for kills, digs, and points, taking into account all eight conference games that have been played.

Head coach Sabrina King has previously commented on Peterkin, stating, “Devon has once again shown that she is one the of the most well-rounded players in the Ivy League.” Peterkin finished last season with All-Ivy League honors after recording 146 kills and 164 digs. She has already passed both these numbers with 198 kills and 188 digs leading into the second half of Ivy League play. Peterkin continues paving the way for the Tigers on their trek to the championship.

This Friday Princeton will play Yale (13–4, 7–1) in New Haven, which will be nationally broadcasted on ESPNU, in a matchup that will undoubtedly play a large role in the Ivy League standings.

The win against Penn allowed Princeton to remain tied for first place with Yale. The Tigers are preparing for a recap of their 2017 season, in which they shared the Ivy League championship with Yale. During the 2017 season, the Tigers beat Yale in New Haven for the first time since 2007. This season, the goal has always been to be the sole champion within the league.

The match between Yale and Princeton could plausibly go either way. The Tigers finished the 2017 season 2–1 against Yale. They are currently sitting at 1–0, after beating the Bulldogs back in September in their first match since the Ivy League championship.

On Saturday, Princeton will face a significantly less demanding challenge, as the team travels to Providence to play Brown (8–10, 1–7), a team currently stuck at the bottom of the Ivy League standings.