Tigers give up two goal lead, fall to Brown 3–2

Women’s soccer was defeated by Brown University on Saturday, Oct. 6, giving up a two-goal lead to end up losing 2–3 on Sherrerd Field. A light rain persisted throughout the game, causing slippery conditions and a fast-moving ball.

In the 13th minute a free kick by sophomore defender Lucy Rickerson was deflected by a Brown player, only to have the ball arc over the Brown keeper’s head and into the back of the net.

Four minutes later, senior forward Mimi Asom added to the Tigers’ momentum. After a through ball from junior Tomi Kennedy, Asom cut left and hit a beautiful shot with the outside of her right foot. The ball sailed into the bottom left corner, bringing Princeton’s lead to 2–0.

However, the Tigers’ clean sheet didn’t last. Three minutes before the half, Brown midfielder Rebecca Rosen scored off of a throw-in play, earning Brown their first of three goals.

In the first half, Princeton outshot Brown 6–3. Both teams had four fouls, while Brown had two corners and one save to Princeton’s none before halftime.

One minute after the game resumed, Asom hit a rocket at the Brown goal, but it was saved by keeper Maria Guerrero.

Three minutes later, in the forty-ninth minute, Brown forward Abby Carchio hit a fast free kick on the ground from outside the box on the left side, evading Princeton defenders. Brown forward Star White tapped the ball into the goal, bringing the game to a tie.

With a little more than 10 minutes left in the game, Brown’s Claire Myers gained control of the ball and shot on target. The ball slipped past Princeton’s keeper, junior Natalie Grossi, earning Brown its final and winning goal of the game.

The Orange and Black dominated the second half (statistically), with a whopping 13 shots to Brown’s three. Despite these repeated efforts in the second half to bring the Tigers back into the running, Princeton could not get anything past Brown’s Guerrero. She finished the game with five saves, while Grossi finished with one.

In the second half, the Tigers also had six corner kick attempts to Brown’s one, and six fouls to Brown’s two.

This weekend’s game coincided with the University’s “She Roars” conference, which brought University alumni from all over the world back to campus to celebrate “the impact women have had on the University and their communities.”

Carey Crutcher Smith ’81, Marcia Hart ’81, and Wendy Russell Gerlach ’81 were attending the conference and stopped by the match in order to support the team. The three women were on the first ever women’s varsity soccer team, which began in the fall of 1980. The head coach was Bob Malekoff, but the formation of the team was the result of efforts by Don Betterton, former University Director of Financial Aid, who would become assistant coach. The women have fond memories of their time as student athletes.

“We used to play at a field that was at least six blocks from here, we would have to jog through the neighborhood to get to practice,” Smith recalled. “But we still went on the [Ivy League] championship.”

In that championship, Princeton lost to Brown. They had gone 6–0 in the Ivy League, only to fall to their opponents in the final. Saturday’s game seemed like something of a flashback.

“I can remember the Brown game, they were really good. Everyone was good, but they were a top team.”

Next Sunday, the team will head to Columbia University. The game is part of a rivalry for Princeton — Columbia is the only Ivy League team that the Tigers lost to last season.

On Oct. 20, Princeton will host Harvard at home, their first game in Roberts Stadium.

The team currently sits fifth in the Ivy League, behind Columbia but ahead of Brown.