Football hosts Lehigh in non-conference season finale

Tomorrow, Princeton football (3–0, 1–0 Ivy) hosts local rival Lehigh (1–3), last year’s Patriot League winner, in its last nonconference game of the year. The game will begin at 1 p.m. at Powers Field at Princeton Stadium. This will be the Tigers’ last chance to get it right before going into the rest of their conference play where they will strive to win another Ivy League title. This game will also have an important impact on Princeton’s place in the rankings. Princeton entered the AFCA Coaches’ Top 25 Poll last week as #25 in the Football Championship Subdivision (FCS) and is up to #23 after its 45–10 win over Columbia. This is the highest Princeton has been since Week 10 of its 2013 Ivy League championship season. The Tigers are also in the “Receiving Votes” portion of the STATS FCS Top 25, where they ranked #22 entering Week 10 in 2013.

Offense was the focus of Princeton’s game last week. The offense, led by senior quarterback John Lovett, put on another show against Columbia in New York, earning Lovett his sixth Ivy League Offensive Player of the Week honor. Princeton’s defense has also been outstanding this season and boasts its share of stars as well. One standout last week was junior safety TJ Floyd, who had two interceptions against Columbia, his second and third of the season. Floyd’s success on the back end of the defense has been aided by the pressure generated up front by senior linebacker Mike Wagner. Wagner was last season’s FCS leader in sacks through Week 5 until he suffered an injury, and this year he is leading Princeton in sacks and tackles for loss with 3 and 3.5 respectively. Against Columbia, Wagner turned the pressure up with two of his three sacks and a forced fumble.

The Tigers’ stiff defense will be matched against a strong Lehigh offense led by one of the top receiving tandems in all of FCS, Troy Pelletier and Gatlin Casey. Pelletier has rewritten the record books of both Lehigh and the broader Patriot League over his four years. Casey has averaged nearly 1,000 yards receiving and 13 touchdowns over the last two years. The Mountain Hawks are coming off their bye week and a three-game losing streak, so they will be looking to rebound against Princeton this weekend before they start their conference play in the Patriot League. Lehigh has dominated this series as of late, winning 13 of the past 17 matchups and five of the last six.

There are a number of ways for Princeton fans to watch the game across the country. With the Ivy League’s new television contract with ESPN, the game will be live-streamed on ESPN+. Locally, the game will be live on TV on NBC Sports Philadelphia and there will be a delayed showing on SportsNet New York. On radio, the game will be carried on 103.3 FM, which can be accessed across the country through the TuneIn app for those not in the Princeton area.