Weekend Review, Sept. 23

Football vs. Monmouth W 51–9

The Tigers dominated Monmouth in their first home game of the 2018 season with a resounding 51–9 victory. This was the first time the Tigers opened the season with back-to-back 50-point scoring performances since 1886. They were led by senior quarterback John Lovett who threw five touchdowns and rushed for another. Senior wide receiver Stephen Carlson caught 11 passes of 179 yards and two touchdowns. Fellow wide receiver senior Jesper Horsted stole the show with three touchdowns to break Princeton’s all-time touchdown receiving record. The Tigers look to be in excellent form as they head into their first Ivy League game of the season against Columbia this coming Friday.

Field Hockey vs. Dartmouth W 3–0

The No. 5 Tigers secured the Ivy League opener against Dartmouth with a 3–0 victory. Three different Princeton players made it on the scoreboard, showcasing Princeton’s balanced offense. However, the Tigers also showed the strength of their defense by holding the Big Green to just three shots the entire game and zero shots on goal. For comparison, the Princeton side managed 22 shots and put 11 of those on target. This victory was the seventh straight win for the Tigers over the Big Green and improves their season record to 6–3.

Women’s Soccer at Yale W 30

The No. 25 Princeton Tigers defeated Yale 3–0 in their Ivy League opener to defeat the Bulldogs for three points in the Ivy League. A hat trick from senior Mimi Asom lifted Princeton to victory. Scoring three goals raised Asom to 40 career goals, making her the fourth player in program history to reach the mark. Goalkeeper Natalie Grossi completed her 20th career shutout in the 3–0 victory over Yale, making her just the third Tiger to achieve this feat. The record-setting victory over Yale will hopefully prove to be an auspicious start for the Tigers as they look to repeat last year’s success.

Women’s Volleyball at Penn 3–0

The reigning Ivy League champs showed their dominance in the Ivy League opener against Penn. The Orange and Black swept the Quakers in three sets, 25–18, 25–19, and 28–26. Princeton exhibited their efficient offense throughout the game. The Tigers’ top three hitters, Devon Peterkin, Claire Lenihan, and Maggie O’Connell, combined their efforts for 33 kills and only four errors. Junior setter Jessie Harris paced the offense with 38 assists. This coming weekend the Tigers will host Yale and Brown. Saturday’s showdown against the Bulldogs will be a repeat of the 2017 Ivy League playoffs.

Men’s Soccer at Rider W 1–0

The men’s soccer team continued its recent streak of success as it defeated neighbors Rider for its third-straight victory. The grueling double overtime victory gives Princeton a winning 4–3 record and builds the team’s momentum ahead of Ivy League play. The hero of the match was – once again – senior forward Jeremy Colvin. The reigning Ivy League Player of the Week scored his third consecutive game-winning goal in the second period of overtime to send the Tigers to victory. The goal came in the 108th minute after a clinical corner kick by senior Bryan Prudil that put the ball in a dangerous area.

Players of the Week

Jesper Horsted – 3 TD, 8 receptions, 150 yards

Senior wide receiver Jesper Horsted recorded three touchdowns for the Tigers in their victory over Monmouth. Horsted’s three touchdowns helped him set a new Princeton record for receiving touchdowns with 20. The previous record of 19 was set by Derek Graham during the 1984 season.

John Lovett – 5 TD, 21 completions, 332 yards

Senior quarterback John Lovett threw five touchdown passes and rushed seven yards for a touchdown run. The CFPA National Offensive Player of the Week threw 21 of 27 for 332 yards, leading the Orange and Black to a dominant victory in their home opener.

Mimi Asom – 3 goals

Senior Forward Mimi Asom recorded her second career hat trick against Dartmouth in Princeton’s Ivy League opener. The three goals gives Asom 40 for her career, making her just the fourth player to reach the mark.