Kardashian Lifestyle Klub kicks off its second semester

Kardashian Klub's first meeting of the year
Kardashian Klub hosts first meeting of this academic year, featuring an episode of "Keeping Up With The Kardashians"

On Monday, Sept. 17, the Kardashian Lifestyle Klub hosted its first study break of the year, complete with Kourtney-style nutella naan and a viewing of the most recent episode of “Keeping Up with the Kardashians.”

Klub presidents Kristen Starkowski GS and Allegra Martschenko ’20 founded the group in March 2018. Since then, the club has expanded to a membership of about 150 people on GroupMe.

“For me, it was halfway a joke,” Martschenko said, describing the early days of the club. 

“When I first started, I was hoping for maybe 20 people,” Starkowski added.

However, the club has exceeded both Martschenko and Starkowski’s expectations. The club has thrived as an outlet for stress and as an opportunity to escape academics, members said. Through the Kardashian Klub, Martschenko explained that they are building a community for students who need a breather from academics.

Both presidents were surprised by the amount of attention they received as a result of the club. 

“The Princeton community has been really supportive and energetic about it,” noted Starkowski. 

Even alumni have reached out to express enthusiasm, she said.

Despite the newness of the Kardashian Klub, it has already solidified a number of traditions and events. Members’ personal recreations of famous Kardashian pictures are featured on the club’s Instagram account, and the club also hosts trivia competitions with Kardashian-themed prizes.

Last spring, the club organized a trip to Harlem, where students visited different shopping boutiques and met with a fashion expert to discuss the culture and history of celebrity fashion. 

Starkowski said that they hope to do similar trips every semester. Over the summer, Starkowski even attended an event where she took a selfie with Kourtney Kardashian and was featured on her Snapchat story. She joked that she received “national press coverage.” 

In the coming year, the president’s plan to increase the physical fitness component of the club, in addition to the “Bod Squad” they started last year. Through a partnership with Mathey College, the club received a number of Flex passes to attend fitness classes and to emulate the health component of the Kardashian lifestyle.

One of the club’s newest members is Casey Sim ’22, who was excited to find a relaxing environment on campus.

“Lots of clubs are so goal-oriented,” said Sim. “It’s okay to destress once in a while, and do something that’s just fun. It’s nice to treat yourself.”