Weekend review: Men’s track and field, women’s lacrosse win Ivy League championships

Men’s track and field @ Franklin Field: 1st Place in Outdoor Ivy Heps

The Tigers won their ninth triple crown in track and field events by placing first in the Outdoor Ivy League Heptagonal Championships at Franklin Field in Philadelphia this weekend. The win clinched the fourth triple crown victory for the Tigers in their last eight years, continuing a dominant trend in the sport for the Orange and Black. Entering the final day trailing by seven points, Princeton jumped on every team with a strong performance in the third event of the day: the 1500. They would finish the day with six event wins and points in 14 of the final 15 events. The Tigers would also take home individual accolades as senior Mitchel Charles won the Most Outstanding Field Performer of the Meet and senior Josh Ingalls took home the Most Outstanding Track Performer of the Meet. Up next for the Tigers is a meet at their home Weaver Stadium, as they will host the IC4A Championships.

Women’s lacrosse vs. Penn: W 13–10 

The No. 15 Tigers defeated the No. 13 Quakers earlier today to claim the Ivy League Tournament Title. Jumping out to an early 2–0 lead, Princeton eventually lost the lead but would make a roaring comeback to steal the championship in one of the most exciting victories of the season. With the win, the Tigers also sweep Ivy rival Penn this season and extend their all time rivalry lead to 26–22–3. Junior attacker Elizabeth George made a hat trick for the Tigers and earned the Tournament’s Most Outstanding Player Award. Sophomore midfielder Tess D’Orsi also had a big day, scoring four goals and assisting on the eventual game winning goal to earn her 100th career point as a Tiger. Princeton will now wait and see whom they will play in the NCAA Tournament; the selection show is Sunday night at 9:30 p.m.

Baseball @ Dartmouth: L 0–3 

A disappointing season came to a disappointing end this weekend for Princeton baseball as they suffered a sweep in a three-game road series against Dartmouth. After a promising 7–5 start to Ivy League play, the team finished the season on a 10-game losing streak and a 7–14 conference record. None of the games this weekend against Dartmouth were particularly close — the team lost 14–3 and 16–1 in Saturday’s doubleheader and fell 6–2 in Sunday’s season finale.

Softball vs. Cornell: L 1–2

For the first time since 2015, softball will not be participating in the Ivy League Championship Series. Its season came to an end this weekend with a home series loss against Cornell; the team finished with an 8–13 record in the Ivy League. Each of the games against Cornell was tightly contested. Princeton lost the first game of Saturday’s doubleheader 7–6 after Cornell scored the go-ahead run in the final inning and won the second 5–2. In the series finale, Princeton held Cornell to just one run in the first inning but failed to score any of its own, eventually falling 1–0.

Notable individual performances

Senior Mitchel Charles and Josh Ingalls (men’s track and field)

The pair of seniors took home the highest individual accolades at the Ivy League Heps this weekend. Charles won the Most Outstanding Field Performer of the Meet with individual victories in both the shotput and discus. In the shotput, Charles scored a 16.77 on his final throw to propel him into the lead; later on he would throw a season best 52.07 in this discus to win that event as well. Ingalls took home the Most Outstanding Track Performer of the Meet with his efforts in the 800 and the 4x800 events. Ingalls will also go down in Ivy Heps history with his 800 time of 1:47.76, the second fastest in the history of the meet. The pair helped clinch the Tigers’ ninth Triple Crown.

Junior attacker Elizabeth George (women’s lacrosse)

George may have not been the sole reason why the Tigers won the Ivy League Tournament Title, but she certainly helped the team along. The junior posted back-to-back hat tricks in Princeton’s wins over Cornell and Penn. Her efforts earned her the Tournament’s Most Outstanding Player Award.

Senior pitcher Ashley LaGuardia (softball)

In her final game in a Princeton uniform, LaGuardia was stellar. Despite taking the loss after her offense was unable to get on the board, she pitched a complete game, yielding just four hits, no walks, and one run.