Weekend review

Women’s Lacrosse @ Columbia: W 22–16

The women’s lacrosse team picked up their fifth straight Ivy League title with a 22–16 win over Columbia. This is the 14th title in program history. In addition to the win, Princeton also earns the right to host the Ivy League Tournament starting on May 4. The Tigers will play Columbia again in the first round of the Ivy League Tournament. Princeton is unbeaten in its all-time series against the Lions, and the Orange and Black will surely be looking to keep that streak alive as they eye yet another successful postseason.

Men’s Lacrosse vs. Cornell: W 14–8

The men’s lacrosse team defeated Cornell 14–8. While the Princeton offense had its usual strong performance, it was the Tiger defense that ultimately won them the game. Freshman defender George Baughan played locked-down defense on Cornell’s star offensive player Jeff Teat. Teat had 12 points against the Tigers a year ago; this weekend he did not manage a single goal or assist. Despite the strong showing from the Orange and Black, the Tigers also needed Dartmouth to defeat Brown to qualify for the Ivy League Tournament. Unfortunately, the Big Green was unable to finish against Brown. Yale, Cornell, Brown, and Penn will continue into the postseason.

Softball vs. Penn: L 3–2

The softball team fell to 7–11 in the Ivy League after being swept by Penn in a three-game series. Despite the series outcome, the Tigers were narrowly edged out by the Quakers in two of the three games. Penn narrowly scraped by the Orange and Black in the first game at 11–12 on Friday. Then to finish the series, the Quakers again found enough to get past Princeton for a 3–2 win to complete the series. The Tigers will wrap up their season against Cornell to finish the Ivy League season.

Men’s Track and Field @ Championship of America

The men’s track and field team competed in three Championship of America races: the distance medley relay, the 4xMile and the 4x800. The Tigers managed to take third place in the distance medley relay with a time of 9:35.74 in a tightly contested race. Villanova would end up taking the top spot with a time of 9:34.97. The Princeton time was the second fastest in program history and beat the previous second fastest time set in 1976. The Tigers were also able to claim third in the 4xMile while finishing seventh in the 4x800. The Princeton team will continue the season with the Ivy League Heptagonal Championships at Princeton Friday May 5–6.

Men’s Baseball vs. Yale: L 6–0

The Bulldogs completed a doubleheader sweep against Princeton this Saturday. The Tigers now 7–10 in the Ivy League had trouble on the offensive end, scoring only one run in the two games. The first match was a pitcher’s duel with both teams combining for just eight hits. However, it would be the Bulldogs who managed to push through as they edged out the Orange and Black for a 2–1 win. While the Tigers continued to struggle, Yale seemed to find their rhythm locking out Princeton for 6–0 victory.

Player of the Week:

Junior midfielder Elizabeth George (Women’s Field Hockey)

George led the Tigers in scoring with 7 points off six goals and one assist. She also won four draws and had one caused turnover and one ground ball in the Princeton victory over Columbia.

George_0912.jpg

Freshman defender George Baughan (Men’s Lacrosse)

Baughan played perfect defense in the Tigers' victory over Cornell, holding one of Cornell's top scorers without a goal or assist throughout the game.

baughan_george-1.jpg