U. students win mass media fellowship

University graduate students Irineo Cabreros and Tim Treuer have been selected for the 2018 Mass Media Science and Engineering Fellows Program. Cabreros and Treuer are Ph.D. candidates in applied mathematics and ecology and evolutionary biology, respectively.

The American Association for the Advancement of Science annually selects science, engineering, and mathematics students for its competitive 10-week program, which places recipients in media organizations worldwide. These organizations range from The Los Angeles Times and National Public Radio to WIRED and Scientific American.

“The fellowship pairs graduate students with mass media outlets,” said Cabreros. “I’ll be doing science writing for Slate in New York.”

Irineo Cabreros

Courtesy of Irineo Cabreros

Cabreros will be sponsored by the American Statistical Association to train as a science journalist at Slate, while Treuer will spend the summer working at NOVA Next in Boston.

“The concept is super broad,” said Cabreros. “I imagine I’ll be writing more statistical stuff, but that’s just because it’s my interest, and as a fellow you’re also responsible for pitching your own ideas, so it’s kind of up to me, but the past scholars have written in a really broad range.”

Cabreros earned a bachelor’s degree in physics from Harvard and a master’s in music from the New England Conservatory. He is currently researching gene function primarily from the perspective of causal inference, population genetics, and the interaction of the two in the lab of John Storey. 

Tim Treuer
Courtesy of Tim Treuer

Treuer, meanwhile, is also a fellow with the Princeton Environmental Institute’s Program in Science, Technology, and Environmental Policy. He is interested in how an integrated understanding of these subjects can lead to great steps forward in environmental conservation. Truer will be sponsored by the Heising-Simons Foundation for his work with NOVA Next.

“[NOVA] covers a lot of general science topics, including a lot of focus on space, health, and emerging technology, and also focuses on nature and natural history stories,” said Truer. “I’m hoping to get a chance to pitch some stories related to cool and interesting places and research and things that I’ve encountered in my time as a biologist in a lot of tropical countries.”

AAAS typically selects 15 to 20 Mass Media Fellows each year. Those who are selected are provided a weekly stipend of $500 as well as travel expenses to orientation and wrap-up sessions, which include trainings and career panels, in Washington, D.C.