Pride Alliance posters ripped, torn down

Flyers advertising a Pride Alliance event were torn down. Photo courtesy of Arlene Cuervo.

On Friday, the Princeton Pride Alliance hung up 50 posters around campus to advertise an ice cream social for prospective Class of 2022 students visiting for Preview. Over the course of the weekend, however, the majority of the posters were torn or went missing. 

The purpose of the social was to help the admitted students feel welcome on campus and connect them with current students who are part of the LGBTQ+ community.

Scooter Liapin ’20, president of the alliance, said that he noticed some of the posters he had hung up near Mathey Courtyard were missing on Saturday morning. On Sunday, a fellow Pride Alliance member noted that additional posters had been taken down or ripped. 

“It's quite the wake-up call to find out that there are still people on campus who oppose our mission to provide resources and security to the LGBTQ+ community here at Princeton,” Liapin said. “We understand that there are people, especially on this campus, who don't think we have the right to exist happily and securely, let alone exist at all.”  

Christian Flores ’21, vice president of the Pride Alliance, said that he found two posters on the ground, one of which was ripped in half.

“Regardless of the intention, it seems like they were trying to harm the queer community on campus, and would not look good on the pre-frosh,” Flores said.

Flores is a staff copy editor for The Daily Princetonian.

“It is incredibly disappointing to hear about the destruction of our posters, especially as this event was meant to welcome prefrosh,” Anna Macknick ’21, who designed the posters, added. 

Eli Berman ’20 also expressed disappointment that the posters had been ripped down. 

“The ice cream social at my Preview was really important for me as a queer, non-binary trans student looking for LGBTQIA+ community in college,” Berman said. 

They added that prospective students should know that it’s not always easy to be LGBTQIA+ at the University, because the environment can sometimes feel unsupportive or even unsafe, but resources such as the LGBT Center can help students succeed and feel at home. 

“Know that there are LGBTQIA+ students at Princeton that are visible, proud, and thriving — we see you, we love you, and we welcome you into our community,” Berman said.