CDC advisory for E. coli outbreak from romaine lettuce will not affect U.

Dining halls will continue to serve romaine lettuce.

Dining halls will continue to serve romaine lettuce after determining that the lettuce used is not sourced from a region under warning by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The CDC reported an outbreak of E. coli infections linked to bags of chopped romaine lettuce, with 84 total infections recorded as of April 25.

The exact source of the outbreak has not been identified, but it is suspected that it came from the Yuma, Ariz., region. The CDC encouraged buyers, retailers, and restaurants to avoid lettuce sourced to that area.

Bagged salad does not typically list the region where it was grown, so it is advised to avoid eating all bagged romaine lettuce with unknown origins. 

“In response to the CDC warning, Campus Dining reviewed the sourcing of its romaine lettuce and determined it is not from the affected region,” said acting University spokesperson Michael Hotchkiss. 

“We checked with the vendors, and we found that the lettuce was not contaminated,” commented a Mathey and Rockefeller College dining hall manager, who asked to remain anonymous. “We are sure that all of our lettuce comes from California.” 

“We should praise the University’s immediate action,” Riccardo Talini Lapi ’21 said. “The University should continue to be up to date with new findings regarding the contaminated lettuce.”

“Personally, I will avoid eating lettuce at the dining hall for now,” he added.

“If the University determined that the lettuce is not contaminated, then it is probably fine,” Annie Liang ’21 said.

Eating club dining staff could not be reached for comment by the time of publication.