Support the ‘Prince’

Please disable ad blockers for our domain. Thank you!

An early morning fire on Feb. 24, 2018, has temporarily closed Frist Campus Center and the adjoining Jones Hall. No one was injured, according to a University statement.

The fire was located in the basement of Frist. A University employee discovered it in a dryer used for towels and other linens near the loading dock. Five people were evacuated.

The fire was extinguished at approximately 5:15 a.m., roughly 27 minutes after first responders were first notified at 4:48 a.m.

“There’s a bit of smoke odor lingering in the building,” said Assistant Vice President for Communications Dan Day, “but air handlers are bringing in fresh air to clear the odor out.”

University officials inspected the building because of reports of water damage in the basement and an “odor of smoke” throughout the building. 

For two hours Washington Road was closed as firefighters “staged their equipment outside the building.” 

Both buildings will re-open at 9 a.m., according to Day. The basement will still be closed to accommodate the work of cleanup crews. 

Comments powered by Disqus