Adam Berman ’18 and Kaamya Varagur ’18 awarded Gates Cambridge Scholarships for graduate study in UK

Adam Berman ’18 and Kaamya Varagur ’18 were awarded Gates Cambridge scholarships to pursue postgraduate degrees at the University of Cambridge, the University announced on Feb. 19. 

The scholarship was established by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation in 2000 to commend outstanding students from countries outside the United Kingdom. According to the foundation’s website, the scholarship is dedicated to building a “global network of future leaders committed to improving the lives of others.” Winners can pursue degrees in any subject.

Berman and Varagur were two of the 35 U.S. scholarship recipients. 

Berman is a computer science concentrator who is also completing certificates in quantitative and computational biology, creative writing, and technology and society. He will study for a Ph.D. in medical science. A member of Mathey College, he is also co-president of the Unix Users’ Group.

His long-term career goal, according to the University’s statement, is to “make a novel contribution to our understanding of cancer metabolism via computation analysis.”

Immediately after completing his Ph.D., he hopes to study cancer as a postdoctoral researcher and then become a professor.

Varagur is a neuroscience concentrator who is also pursuing a vocal performance certificate. Her independent research currently focuses on musical tempo changes’ influence on the physiological state of marmosets. She plans on studying for a Master of Philosophy in Music Studies. 

Varagur is a member of Wilson College and participates in Glee Club and Chamber Choir. She also has served as the music director of the Tigressions a Capella group.

She wants to become a pediatric neurosurgeon and a community health professional. She plans on being involved with the music and medicine movement.