Princeton women's basketball stuns Quinnipiac on road, wins third straight

RobinsonQuinnipiac.jpg

Heading into this game against the Tigers, the Quinnipiac Bobcats had only lost three times in their last 46 home games. However, the women's basketball team did not let the crowd at TD Bank Sports Center faze them, and handed the Bobcats only their fourth home loss in the last four years.

Princeton gutted out an impressive 60–46 win on Saturday afternoon to win their third straight. With both teams sporting five wins heading into the game, if figured to be a tightly contested matchup between teams looking to continue to bolster their nonconference schedule. The Tigers knew they would have to combat not just the raucous Bobcat faithful, but also a Quinnipiac offense that was averaging 65.0 PPG. Quinnipiac prepared for this matchup with games against quality Top 25 opponents, including Missouri and Ohio State. Princeton knew that this matchup was going to be tougher than it seemed on paper.

The game was inconclusive heading all the way into the final quarter. Neither team was able to gain a significant advantage and momentum swung back and forth throughout the game. The key turning point came with about seven minutes to go in the fourth quarter; a three pointer by freshman Carlie Littlefield put the Tigers up 46-44, then the defense took over the game. Senior Leslie Robinson would extend the lead to four with her mid-range jumper before senior guard Kenya Holland nailed a dagger three to extend the lead to 51-44 with 2:29 left. The defense was relentless throughout the quarter, refusing to allow a single bucket and forcing Quinnipiac to foul the Tigers after rebounds, allowing Princeton to open the lead from 7 to 15. 

RobinsonQuinnipiac.jpg
Senior Kenya Holland put the game on ice with this deep 3 to put Princeton up by 7.

Once again, sophomore Bella Alarie had a double double for the Tigers, with 16 points and 11 rebounds. Only two times this season has Alarie not registered a double double as she is making a strong case early in the season for team MVP; not even halfway through her sophomore year, she already has over 500 career points. Also stuffing the stat sheet this game was Robinson, who made seven field goals in an evening of 16 points, 11 rebounds, and 2 steals. But the clear star of this game was the overall team effort; Princeton registered a career high 18 points off the bench and held the explosive Quinnipiac offense to their lowest point total and their second lowest shooting percentage of the year. The Tigers silenced the home crowd and came away with a win in one of the toughest environments in the nation to play in.

Now at 6-2, the Tigers find themselves tied for second in the Ivy League behind the red hot Brown Bears, who won their seventh straight to improve to 9-1. Princeton’s defense currently sits at second best in the league, allowing only 59.3 points per game. The Tigers will look to improve to 8-2 by the start of winter break with two games this week. Up next is a trip to battle in-state rival Rutgers. The Tigers dominated the Scarlet Knights at home last season, holding them to only 34 points in a 30 point blowout victory.