Letter to the Editor: Response to WWS graduate students

Dear Editor,

I am writing in response to a letter published in yesterday’s paper by a group of graduate students at the Woodrow Wilson School.

As someone who has spent an entire career committed to issues of diversity — particularly in the field of economics and the labor market more generally — I wholeheartedly agree that diversity is an incredibly important issue. This is true not only in our school, but in all realms of life. Indeed, as policy leaders of tomorrow, the Wilson School graduate students will be on the front lines of ensuring that the policy arena represents people of all backgrounds and ideologies.  

Since becoming dean in 2012, I have worked to improve how the school approaches issues of inclusion and representation. I am committed to continuing this work with our students to identify areas where the school can improve and implement needed reforms. I do so, however, with the understanding that none of these issues are easy and that they require thoughtful discussion with our faculty, staff, and among the students themselves. But while the work is hard, the payoff is worth it to ensure that our school is a place where a diverse group of people want to come together to study and where the education we provide prepares students to develop policies that consider all members of society. 

Sincerely,

Cecilia Elena Rouse, Dean of the Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs