Women's ice hockey ties in home game against Providence

Achterkirch_PU_WIH_vs_Quinn_GM_1_112.jpg

Princeton women’s ice hockey matched up against Providence this weekend in a game that ended in a 2-2 tie in the second matchup of a two-game set at Hobey Baker Rink. The Tigers were first to put themselves on the board with a two-goal lead, but the Friars fought back hard to get the tie.

Junior forward Karlie Lund and junior defender Stephanie Sucharda set sophomore forward Carly Bullock up with the assist for the first goal of the game and Bullock’s third of the season. Bullock learned that Providence’s goalie Madison Myers had weak left-side defense, so Bullock shot the puck right into the left corner off a pass from Lund. Providence left this shot unanswered and allowed the Tigers to follow it up in the next quarter at 7:36 into the second when junior forward Keiko DeClerck netted her first of the season off a power-play. Senior forward Kiersten Falck and sophomore defender Julia Edgar assisted DeClerck before she put the Tigers on the board for the second time.

Cassidy MacPherson scored both goals for the Friars, her first and second of the season, to lead the game into a tie. Her first came at 14:27 of the second, giving Providence some strong momentum for the rest of the game. Going into the third period, the Friars outshot the Tigers by a full eight shots, 12-4, eager and ready to defeat the home team. MacPherson shot her game-tying goal at 7:47 off a rebound from teammate Chloe Gonsalves.

Despite the Friars offensive attack, sophomore goalie Stephanie Neatby kept the Tigers in the game, forcing it into overtime. Neatby made 11 saves in just the third period and ended the game with a total tally of 37 stops. On the opposite end, Myers ended the game with 30 for the visiting team. Despite only being one for four on the power play, Princeton did end the match at five for five on the penalty kill.

This tie puts Providence at 4-2-2 on the season while the Tigers advance to 0-2-2 on the season. Next weekend, Oct. 27-28, Princeton will begin ECAC play against Ivy League rivals Harvard and Dartmouth.