Field hockey gets shutout by the Syracuse Orange

Field Hockey gets shutout by the Syracuse Orange

TornettaSyracuse.jpg

This Sunday was a battle of the orange schools in women’s field hockey, as the Princeton Tigers (5-5 overall, 2-0 Ivy) faced off against the Syracuse Orange (9-3, 1-3 ACC).

Unfortunately the Orange and Black from New Jersey was not able to overcome a strong performance by the players of Syracuse. The ‘Cuse women’s field hockey team has been playing extremely well this year, with this game marking its ninth shutout of the year. Not only has the Syracuse team itself accomplished a lot of shutouts this year, but Syracuse goalie Borg van der Velde picked up her eighth shutout in cage as well, which moves her to fourth on the program's single-season record list.

Syracuse came out strong on the offensive side, taking a shot on goal just 12 minutes into the game. The away team’s first attempt didn't come until the 15th minute as freshman midfielder Julianna Tornetta's shot was blocked and senior striker Ryan McCarthy was unable to turnover off the rebound. In one stretch of the game, the Syracuse Orange had three corner shots in just 78 seconds. Sophomore goalie Grace Baylis blocked two of them, but the one she let slide ended up being the only goal scored by both teams at the game’s finish.

Despite the loss, the Tigers still have a chance for a winning season, with a 5-5 record going into next weekend and no losses in the Ivy League. Princeton will host Columbia on Friday at 6:30 p.m. before a matchup against No. 1 University of Connecticut on Sunday at 12 p.m. In program history, Princeton has only won three games against the No. 1 team in the country, the last coming against North Carolina in the 2012 National Championship game. Both games next week will be streamed on the Ivy League Digital Network.