U. revamps scheduling software Timeline

The University has revamped a scheduling software for students developed by the University Office of Information Technology. The program, called “Timeline,” is now accessible as a mobile application for Android and iOS devices.

The application aims to facilitate the distribution of time-sensitive information to members of the University community and to consolidate campus activities, class schedules, and deadlines into one convenient place for users.

Timeline was developed in the spring in response to concerns expressed by students and administrators regarding effective communication about University happenings, according to the program's website.

Linked to Blackboard, TigerHub, and the academic calendar, the app shows students academic deadlines, including ones specific to certain groups, like concentrations.

Based on personal settings, Timeline can also display WASS office hour appointments, assignment due dates from Blackboard, and upcoming lectures and sporting events.

Posts may be “tagged” or “targeted.” “Tagged” posts contain information such as events, deadlines, and announcements for specific individuals or groups in the campus community. “Targeted” posts are sent to people who are interested in certain categories of information available on Timeline.

Events can be synced to Google Calendar or Microsoft Exchange, and personal events can also be added to Timeline.

Ming Wilson '18 has been using the app since its beginning stages. 

"While some user interface aspects could be modified, like rearranging the order of deadlines, classes, and events of interest, I find it to be really useful," he said. "Unlike TigerHub, Timeline's really accessible because I don't have to log in every time." 

Wilson noted he would recommend this app to other students.

Timeline's mantra, “Getting the right information to the right people at the right time in the right way,” illustrates the University’s intention for the app to simplify scheduling for students, faculty, and other members of the University community.

The Timeline project is led by an Oversight Committee, formed by Vice President for Information Technology and Chief Information Officer Jay Dominick, and an Infrastructure Committee, which manages administration and application maintenance.

iOS users can download Timeline from the App Store, and Android users can download it from the Google Play Store.