Chow '17 and Storey '17 named valedictorian and salutatorian

Jin Yun Chow '17 and Grant Storey '17 were named the valedictorian and salutatorian, respectively, for the Class of 2017, according to the University press release.

University faculty accepted the nominations on Monday at a meeting for the Faculty Committee on Examinations and Standing.

Chow is a Comparative Literature major from Hong Kong and has studied multiple languages including German and Old Irish at the University. She has taken literature classes in Chinese and French, and in the fall she will begin a Ph.D. candidacy in Comparative Literature at Stanford University. She plans to study digital humanities and European-Chinese literary relations, according to the press release

This summer, Chow plans to design a humanities curriculum for an education center in Hong Kong. She will also organize and teach at a summer camp that helps Mainland Chinese immigrants adapt to the Hong Kong school system.

On campus, Chow is involved with the French theater troupe L'Avant-Scène and is a tour guide with the University Art Museum. She also tutors prisoners as part of the Petey Greene program, and developed an eight-week curriculum for prisoners called the Princeton Reentry and Employment Preparation, which will teach prisoners job-application procedures, according to the press release.

Chow received the Shapiro Prize for Academic Excellence her freshman and sophomore years, and was elected to the honor society Phi Beta Kappa in 2016.

Storey, who is a Computer Science major from Berkeley, California, will deliver the Latin Salutatorian address. He is receiving a certificate in Roman Language and Culture, and has taken classes on classical Greek and quantum computing, according to the press release

He received the Shapiro Prize for Academic Excellence his freshmen and sophomore years, and was elected to Phi Beta Kappa in 2016. He is also a member of the engineering honor society Tau Beta Pi, and won a best poster award for his junior independent work. His senior thesis involves research on web privacy and ad-blocking, and he developed an ad-blocking software with computer science assistant professor Arvind Narayanan called "Perceptual Ad Blocker," which can block ads on Facebook.

On campus, Storey serves as a tour guide for the Engineering School, and is an officer at Colonial Club.

In the fall, Storey will begin a master's degree in computer science at Cornell University.

This story will be updated with more information as it arrives.