Tigers honor past championship teams in home victory over Crimson

The men’s lacrosse team (9-4, 4-1 Ivy League) pulled out an exciting victory against the Harvard Crimson (5-7, 1-4) last Saturday in the last home game of the season. The Tigers finished the game on top at 12-9 to earn a spot in the Ivy League tournament semifinals.

Freshman attacker Michael Sowers contributed two goals to the final score and had three assists. The performance gave him a total of 70 points for the season that tops the previous Ivy League record set by Cornell’s Rob Pannell in 2009.

Senior attacker Gavin McBride was also a game changer, scoring a career-high seven goals and contributing one assist in his last home game on Sherrerd Field. McBride now stands at 46 goals, 15 assists, and 61 points for the season and 89 goals, 35 assists, and 124 points for his collegiate career.

Senior midfielder Zach Currier and junior midfielder Austin Sims scored the remaining three goals to clinch the win at 12.

Junior goalkeeper Tyler Blaisdell sealed the win at 18 saves, just two shy of his career high, but bringing him to 146 saves for the season and 323 for his career.

The team will face Cornell (4-8, 2-3) this upcoming Saturday in Ithaca and then will head to New Haven to face off against Brown (7-5, 3-2) in the Ivy League tournament. Princeton would win a share of the title with a victory over Cornell and a Yale loss to Harvard. Yale (8-4, 5-0) will, however, get the outright title if they were to win or if Princeton was to lose.

In addition to the team’s current seniors, three past championships teams were honored on Saturday in the home game: the 1967 team for the 50th anniversary of its Ivy League championship win, the 1992 team for the 25th anniversary of the program’s first NCAA title, and the 1997 team for the 20th anniversary of its undefeated season.