Princeton tennis triumphs over Quakers to close out season

The men’s tennis team concluded its regular spring season with a 4-3 victory against Penn on Saturday at the Lenz Tennis Center.

The Quakers clinched the doubles point to take the lead early in the competition. Penn defeated Princeton freshman Payton Holden and sophomore Jimmy Wasserman at second doubles, but seniors Alex Day and Tom Colautti took first doubles at 6-3 against Penn's Gabriel Rapoport and Nicholai Westergaard. Junior Luke Gamble and senior Jonathan Carcione, however, fell in third doubles against Josh Pompan and Thomas Pratt, allowing the Quakers to put the first point on the scoreboard.

Day and Gamble fired back with wins at second and third singles against Penn’s Josh Pompan and Matt Nardella, bringing the tally to 2-1. Penn tied the score with a fifth singles win against freshman Davey Roberts and took the sixth singles match over Carcione, but junior Kial Kaiser and Colautti won their respective singles matches against Nicholai Westergaard and Kyle Mautner to bring the final total to 4-3.

Colautti gave the win to the Tigers as the last Princeton competitor on the courts. He won the first set at first singles against Mautner, but fell 6-7 in the second. He came back, however, with a 6-3 third-set win to take the singles match and the entire competition for the Tigers.

The home victory was a sweet one. Seniors Carcione, Colautti, Day, and Josh Yablon were also recognized before the competition started, adding an element of team spirit and community to these seniors' final home match.

The Tigers now stand at 14-12 for the season and 4-3 in the Ivy League. The Tigers hosted 15 of these matches, 11 of which were victorious. This winning record has made the team five for five in overall winning records under its head coach Billy Pate.

The NCAA men’s tournament selections will be announced on Tuesday at 5 p.m. on NCAA.com, and singles and doubles selections will be released on Wednesday.