Softball maintains first place ranking in the Ivies

The Princeton softball team swept Penn 4-0 on April 15 and 16, retaining its first-place position in the conference and keeping its lead in the Ivy South.

This is huge turnaround for the Tigers. It is the first time in nine years that they have completed a four-game road sweep; the last one was against Columbia in 2008. The team also hadn’t won more than a single game against Penn from 2009 to 2015.

Now, the team is fresh off a victory against their rivals and are looking to maintain that momentum throughout Ivy League play.

Princeton showed dominance from the beginning of the series, winning both doubleheaders on Saturday. In the opener, sophomore Alex Viscusi scored three of Princeton’s four runs. Although Penn responded with runs in the fourth and sixth innings, the Tigers closed the game with a 4-2 lead.

In the second game, the Tigers scored all of their runs in the second inning with a double from Viscusi, an error that let sophomore Keeley Walsh on base, and singles from junior Danielle Dockx and freshman Megan Donahey. Penn managed one run each in the bottom of the second and third, but Princeton took home the win at 3-2.

Princeton kept that momentum rolling into Sunday. In the opener, a three-run home run by Walsh put the Tigers at 3-0 in the fourth inning and brought freshman Allison Harvey and sophomore Mikayla Blaska home. Penn responded with a home run in the bottom of the fourth, but Princeton followed up with a base hit by junior Kylee Pierce and a single by senior Marissa Reynolds to end the game at 4-2.

The Tigers finished strong in the series with a 12-8 win that night. Although they were behind for the first time in the series after a first-inning three-run home run for Penn, the team rallied with a home run by Reynolds and a two-run home run by Dockx that brought sophomore Kaitlyn Waslawski home from a single. Penn again surged ahead in the bottom of the second to a 6-3 lead, but the Tigers responded with a six-run inning at the top of the third. Walsh, Waslawski, Viscusi, Donahey and Dockx all scored.

With a league record of 10-2, Princeton is leading the division strongly, leading its closest competitor Columbia by three games. In the north division, Dartmouth — which also pulled off a four-game sweep against Brown — is trailing by one game. Since Dartmouth swept Princeton at a doubleheader, the Tigers will need to pull ahead by at least a game to host the Ivy League Championship Series.

Princeton will play its final non-league game of the regular season this Wednesday, hosting Lehigh University. Fresh off a stunning victory, the team is looking to roll into the remainder of Ivy League play with the goal of taking the title.