Princeton upset champions Columbia to claim Inaugural Campbell Cup

The men’s lightweight rowing team faced a significant obstacle this Saturday, Apr 1, racing against the incumbent IRA champion Columbia on Lake Carnegie for the inaugural Campbell Cup in the second half of a regatta with the heavyweights.

There was a turbulent start to the morning race as waves swallowed junior Blake Lange’s oar just before the 500-meter mark and forced his boat to forfeit their considerable lead against the Lions.

Luck was on the Tigers' side, however. The team was granted a restart after calling breakage.

The boys were able to outpace the champions again after their restart. The Tigers sealed their victory with a late sprint to claim the first Campbell Cup, finishing at 6:30.2 and five seconds ahead of the Columbia boat.

This victory was a historic one, as Columbia had taken 12 out of the last 13 races against Princeton.

Saturday’s race was the team’s third of the season. The Tigers had a split opener exactly a week before, racing the Naval Academy for the Murtaugh Cup and Georgetown for the Fosburgh Cup. Though the Tigers kicked the day off slow with a loss to the Midshipmen for the Murtaugh trophy, they claimed the Fosburgh title over the Hoyas with a narrow 2.5-second margin at 6:20.5 for an evening victory.

The lightweight rowing team took center stage on Saturday, but other boats also put on impressive performances at Lake Carnegie.

The 2V finished with a 3.6-second win over Columbia; and the 3V, 4V, and 5V boats each crossed the finish line before the Columbia 3V boat, the last Princeton boat finishing four seconds before Columbia.

The Tigers will look to continue their momentum from this weekend’s exciting results into next week’s races against Dartmouth and Delaware on Lake Carnegie, the third straight weekend on home waters. The competition will begin at 10 a.m. on Saturday and will be broadcasted live on the Ivy League Digital Network.