Group fitness classes at Dillon Gym

Have you considered taking more classes to deal with the stress from your current classes? Of course, I'm not speaking about academic classes; Campus Recreation actually offers many fantastic group fitness classes to help you stay fit, healthy, and, ideally, stress-free.

Kara Nitti, the coordinator of recreational programming for Campus Rec, noted that “college can be hectic and stressful, and we take pride in providing students an opportunity and venue to maintain a healthy lifestyle.” She added that Campus Rec's goal “is to provide students with a healthy and fun outlet to stay in shape.”

According to Nitti, all University students and Dillon Gym members can access group fitness classes. Some are even free — Nitti noted that a pilot program for yoga, anticipated to continue through next year, currently allows “students free access to yoga at Dillon Gym and residential colleges." She added that this program even "[involved] the hiring of a world renowned yoga expert.” Since the program started in February 2017, student attendance at yoga classes has increased by 150 percent.

In addition to yoga, Campus Rec offers a number of other free fitness options throughout the year. For instance, Nitti added, “Campus Recreation is excited to partner with the Office of Sustainability for an Earth Day Celebration to offer free outdoor yoga on April 21 at 3 p.m. [on] Frist South Lawn.” Further information about this event and others offered by Campus Rec are available online at www.campusrec.princeton.edu.

Campus Rec offers classes every day of the week, starting as early as 7 a.m. and ending as late as 9 p.m. Sessions generally last between 30 minutes and one hour, so everyone should be able to find a time that works for them. Campus Rec also offers a diverse range of classes that include the martial arts-inspired BodyCombat, the barbell class BodyPump, the Bollywood dance fitness workout Doonya, and a Wake-Up! class to kick off your day.

Nitti said that it is difficult to pinpoint the most popular classes, but she noted that yoga, BodyPump, Zumba, and cycling have been consistently well-attended. She added that Barre Fit, which involves elements of ballet and pilates, and TRX seem to be trending at present.

Classes are taught by a variety of fully trained and certified instructors, ranging from undergraduate and graduate students to staff, faculty, and independent fitness professionals. The newest instructors include six undergraduate students and a staff member who recently completed their cycling certification program. “All of them bring a unique energy and approach to their classes,” Nitti added.

“We do our best to keep our programming modern and up to date, and stay abreast of new trends and classes,” Nitti explained. Also, students should feel free to make suggestions for new classes! Nitti added that Campus Rec is “always interested to hear what classes students might be interested in trying.”

Campus Rec’s group fitness classes are amazing opportunities available to every University student. They are a great way not only to stay in shape, but to meet some new people.

Explained Nitti, “It is always wonderful to get to know the students, both those that work for me and the students who take the classes."