USG discusses updates to U. website, new social events

The Undergraduate Student Government discussed the University website and student committee appointments in their weekly meeting on March 12.

Assistant Vice President of the Office of Communications Daniel Day presented the framework for a new University website. The current website was designed in 2007, and according to Day, has failed to keep up with changes in technology and shifts to mobile web browsing. The project was started last spring and is currently in progress under a New York design company. Day indicated that the new website will allow for increased capabilities, including live streaming and article tagging to allow easier navigation.

“We want the site to represent today’s Princeton and all its dedication to teaching, research, dynamism, and the diversity of our faculty, staff, and students,” said Day.

Day then solicited suggestions for the website from Senate members, which included increased map functionality and links to mail services. The website is scheduled to be launched in mid-May.

USG President Myesha Jemison ’18 presented the President’s Report, which included the results of two recent meetings. In the first, Jemison met with Deputy Dean of Undergraduate Students Thomas Dunne and discussed rebranding the USG Office, as well as potential changes to the Graduate Student Government. Jemison also met with several Residential College Advisor Focus groups, with whom she discussed how to achieve more centralized and easily accessible dining information.

The Student Groups Recognition Committee Co-Chair Aaron Sobel ’19 presented three student groups for Senate recognition. The groups include Women in Economics and Policy, a group which is dedicated to cultivating students’ interests in economics and public policy, Hike Princeton, which is committed to serving the community by organizing existing trail maps and leading guided hikes, and the Princeton Refugee Initiative, a service group dedicated to refugee-related volunteering and raising awareness in Princeton about social issues relating to refugees.

Academics Committee Chair Patrick Flanigan ’18 presented an update on student applications. Flanigan indicated that the committee received 15 applications for around four vacant spots, resulting in a very competitive cycle. Of the 15 applicants, six were selected for interview. The final candidates were Shakthi Shrima ’19, Nicholas Ritter ’20, Olivia Ott ’20, and Samuel Russell ’18. Flanigan stated that the new additions to the Academics Committee will be working on a variety of projects, ranging from to distribution requirement reform to undergraduate advising.

Social Committee Chair Lavinia Liang ’18 presented an update on current committee projects. The projects include an Alumni Concert Mixer as well as Coachella in Princeton, an event in which the committee hopes to provide a venue for outdoor viewing of the Coachella Music and Arts Festival’s second weekend.

Chief Elections Manager Laura Hausman ’20 presented an update on the Spring Elections Calendar. The calendar begins on March 17, when the USG Senate convenes to review referenda proposals. Voting will occur from April 17 to 19. Undergraduate students as well as student organizations are allowed to submit potential referenda, which must include a ballot question, explanation, and summary of each section of the ballot proposal. More details about the petitioning process can be found on the USG website.

The weekly public meeting took place in Frist MPR B at 5 p.m. on Sunday, March 12.