Resources for students after revised travel ban announced

President Donald Trump’s updated travel ban executive order affects populations from six countries. On Monday, Trump issued the order, removing Iraq from the list of affected countries. In a Feb. 6 letter, Vice President for Campus Life W. Rochelle Calhoun, Dean of the College Jill Dolan, and Dean of the Graduate School Sanjeev Kulkarni sent a letter that offers advice to students impacted by the first travel ban. This same advice also pertains to Trump’s revised travel ban that affects six predominantly Muslim countries, blocking migrants from entering the U.S. The executive order also imposes a 90-day ban on travelers, but exempts permanent residents and current visa holders. Additionally, in a shift from his previous executive order, the ban no longer includes language that was seen as favoring other religious groups over Muslims.

As per Calhoun’s letter, ten percent of the undergraduate population is international and 40 percent of the graduate population is international. After Trump’s first executive order affecting immigration, the Davis International Center produced a fact page to help answer questions about Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) and undocumented students, as well as other questions pertaining to the executive orders.

Other resources available to students include the Migration Policy Institute’s website. The nonpartisan think tank’s research details how immigration policy and executive orders affect specific populations such as students. Additionally, according to Calhoun’s letter, the staff of Campus Life, the Graduate School, and the Office of the Dean of the College are available to answer any questions.