Men's and women's lacrosse looking to dominate in weekend matches

The women’s lacrosse team will be heading into this weekend’s game against Delaware off of a big win against Syracuse on Wednesday evening. The Tigers led throughout the game and managed to seal the win with a final score of 16-11. Beating the notoriously efficient No. 10 Syracuse will give Princeton confidence for its Sunday game against the Blue Hens.

The Tigers will look to go 8-1 overall at this point in the season, having only lost once, to Penn State during spring break. The Wednesday night display saw career highs for both senior captain Olivia Hompe, scoring seven goals, and senior goalkeeper Ellie DeGarmo, making 18 saves. The seven-goal tally takes Hompe up to 31 goals this season, followed by freshman Tess D’Orsi at 23.

Unlike the Tigers, Delaware lost its last game and is 5-4 overall, but the Blue Hens only narrowly lost to their recent opponent, Colorado, and will be looking to bounce back from a close-fought game.

The two teams have met before; their matchup last season saw Princeton just edge past Delaware, winning 7-6. Late in the first half and in the second half, the Blue Hens bridged a five-goal deficit to draw level with the Tigers. But Hompe ultimately snatched the win, scoring with five minutes remaining in the game.

This will be the second game of a three-game home series for the Tigers. The game starts at 1 p.m. on Sunday in the Class of 1952 Stadium.

The men’s lacrosse team has faced a more turbulent season so far, and is currently 5-3 overall. The Tigers recently fell to Yale, losing 16-13, which gave them a 1-1 conference standing. On Saturday at 1 p.m. Princeton will face Brown in an attempt to end its three-game win streak. This will prove no easy task for the Tigers. Despite holding an overall 31-24 advantage in their 55 meets against Brown, they have been beaten by the Bears in their last three meetings.

However, the recent rankings put the Princeton men’s lacrosse team at No. 15 in the national USILA coaches poll, while Brown was left out of the top 20. Princeton also leads Division I in shooting percentage, at 0.389.

The Tigers will undoubtedly be looking for assistance from junior goalkeeper Tyler Blaisdell this weekend. Blaisdell leads the Ivy League in save percentage, saves per game and goals-against average. Other players to watch for this weekend include senior attacker Gavin McBride, who reached 100 career points last weekend, and senior midfielder Zach Currier, who will be looking to join McBride on 100 career points against Brown. Currier currently sits on 95 points.

Despite the statistics being mixed in favor of both teams, this game will be a hard-fought Ivy League battle, with Princeton seeking redemption for the last three years’ losses and Brown aiming to go 2-0 in conference play. Game time is Saturday at 1 p.m. in the Class of 1952 Stadium.