Class of 2012 changes Reunions stormtrooper costumes after complaints of Nazi references

The Class of 2012 decided to change their costume choice for their Star Wars-theme at Reunions in response to one classmate’s concerns about the term “stormtrooper,” which has connections to Nazi Germany. The new costumes will be a different “character in the Star Wars universe,” according to an email statement from officers of the Class of 2012.

Stormtroopers are the foot soldiers of the Imperial Galactic Empire in the Star Wars universe. Their inspiration, which is what upset some members of the Class of 2012, came from specialist forces for Germany in WWI. In WWII, stormtroopers were also a paramilitary organization who used methods of intimidation that were part of Adolf Hitler’s rise to power, according to Britannica.

“The costumes were intended to refer just to the Star Wars characters and were not meant to be offensive in any way,” Lindy Li, a spokeswoman for the Class of 2012, wrote. Li is also a former Democratic candidate for Congress.

“No costumes had been ordered and what was advertised was only a first draft of the design,” Li explained. “This decision only affects graduates of the Class of 2012 and has been successfully resolved.”

Reunions 2017 will take place June 1-4.