Women's Water Polo dominates weekend play

The Princeton Women’s Water Polo team advanced its winning streak to 6-0 with victories over Claremont-Mudd-Scripps, St. Francis-Brooklyn, and George Washington University in the Bison Invitational this past weekend, Feb. 11 and 12, at the Kinney Natatorium.

The Tigers first kicked off the dominating weekend against the Claremont-Mudd-Scripps Athenas, finishing the match at a staggering 12-2.

Freshman driver Amy Castellano had the most impressive performance of the game with the first hat trick of her collegiate career. Junior driver Chelsea Johnson, sophomore driver Eliza Britt, and sophomore utility Charlotte Valentine each scored two goals, while junior utility Haley Wan, sophomore utility Lindsey Kelleher, and senior center defense Morgan Hallock each contributed one goal to bring the score to 12. Britt, Wan, Castellano, and Kelleher also provided eight collective assists, four of which came from Britt. The Tigers also stole 15 passes, blocked one shot, and drew eight ejections. Senior goalie Ashleigh Johnson anchored the defense with five saves and passed on the reins to freshman Kasey Bersh, who finished the match with two saves.

Princeton went on to earn another win later in the day against St. Francis Brooklyn with a final score of 12-5. Hallock scored four of the 12 goals, the remaining coming from A. Johnson, C. Johnson, Wan, junior defense Cheong, freshman driver Tatum Turetzky, freshman utility Maddy Damato, freshman utility Abbey Blake, and Kelleher. In this second match of the tournament, the Tigers stole 18 passes, drew eight ejections, and blocked two shots. Bersh also started her first match in her collegiate career, saving nine shots from the Terriers.

The team faced off against George Washington on Sunday, wrapping up the tournament with a 14-4 victory. Hallock, C. Johnson, and Castellano each scored a hat trick, while Wan knocked in two goals. Turetzky, Britt, and Blake contributed the remaining three. To seal the victory, A. Johnson had 11 saves, and the team stole 11 passes, drew eight ejections, and blocked one shot.

Coming off from the greatest start to a season since 2014, No. 11 Princeton is scheduled to play No. 21 Harvard at the Denunzio Pool on Feb. 25.